Default Need a hiking partner 2021

Hi I am looking for a hiking partner for the 2021 northbound thru hike. I am currently 17 and a junior in high school. I want to thru hike the Appalachian Trail at the end of my senior year, when I’m 18 before I go to college. If anyone is interested please message me!

It's a bit early to be looking for a hiking partner as a lot can change in 2 years. It is usually best to find your partner or partners (you often end up in a group) once you get on the trail. You will quickly meet others who have a similar hiking pace and compatible personality. In the mean time, get as much camping and backpacking experience as you can, which will greatly increase your chances of success.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's a bit early to be looking for a hiking partner as a lot can change in 2 years. It is usually best to find your partner or partners (you often end up in a group) once you get on the trail. You will quickly meet others who have a similar hiking pace and compatible personality. In the mean time, get as much camping and backpacking experience as you can, which will greatly increase your chances of success.
    Excellent advice.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

All true. OTOH, it can be very helpful, and isn’t too early, to seek one or two “partners in crime” to help plan, maybe to practice hike, and to maintain motivation.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

It does seem like too soon, but my parents won't let me do it unless I find people to do it with from the start. I understnad that you do not always end up finishing with the people you start with and it is likely that I will find people out on the trail. I just want a person or two interested in thru hiking the same time as me, so we can get to know each other and plan together as well. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!!

Default Need a hiking partner 2021

As an old geezer, it warms my heart and sustains my faith in the younger generations when I read a 17 year-old intent on respecting their parents' wishes. Good luck finding the right partner and hope you have a great adventure!

Hi Izzy, I'm Meredith. I'm also currently a junior in high school (16) and I plan on graduating Dec of 2020 and hiking the AT starting in March of '21, before I go off to college. My parents also want me to have a buddy or hiking partner before I get to the trail. I'm interested in what you're planning for when you start/finish. Message me!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy.Karnis View Post
    It does seem like too soon, but my parents won't let me do it unless I find people to do it with from the start.
    Are they funding the trip? All parents are going to be worried about their kid going alone but you're not really going to be alone. There's a lot of people on the trail that time of year and you will find a partner if you really want one. Personally, i wouldn't but HYOH.

I'm so thrilled to see young people planning this. If I wasn't planning a flip flop for 2021, I'd think about being a trail mom for some energetic and fun youngsters...

Regards,

Shimmy

++ New Posts ++