WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

my mistake, i was a little vague.

on the second link i provided the directions are,

" On 309, south of S. Tamaqua, take Mountain Rd. east. Turn left on Reservoir Rd." first directions of Lehigh Furnace.

its the same section, just hiking north instead of south. Going from Reservoir road north is an easier hike. From the road you are already near the top, so it is less up hill climbing.

i looked it up, the Leroy Smith shelter is next shelter north of this section of trail. it is in fact the George W. Outerbrige Shelter. i couldn't remember and was to lazy to look up before.

You might consider PA 183 -> Hertlein Campsite ->William Penn and back. There's parking just before PA 183 (Section 5 into section 6 if you're looking at one of the maps).

That's a good section to do over a weekend b/c the first night, Friday night, you've got a pretty short and easy hike (about 3 1/2 miles), which gives you time to go to work in the morning and start hiking in the afternoon and still make it to camp early. There are two tent platforms there as well as a relatively flat spot just past the stream if the platforms are taken.

Saturday morning you can go 10 miles to William Penn shelter (or if that's too far there's a campsite about six miles away, Applebee).

Sunday just retrace your steps (either 13 1/2 miles or 9 miles, depending on how far you go Saturday).

There's water at both Hertlein and Penn.

As always in PA, the rocks in this section are a pain.

Enjoy!
    When moon and stars are showering their light
    Upon the earth I walk apart and feel
    That fantasy is fact in random flight
    And fact is more illusory than real.

- Earl Shaffer

Images

Default Just my very subjective opinion

Ray, I still say PGF to Caledonia in May would be an ideal intro to overnight hiking and to the AT in Pennsylvania. In my opinion, this stretch is light years nicer than anything north of Route 501. Prettier, more reliable water, no real rocky stretches.

I personally can't think of any stretch from 501 north to Jersey that I'd want to hike more than once, except for the last 8 or 9 miles from Fox Gap to Delaware Water Gap. South of 501 is another matter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle
    Ray, I still say PGF to Caledonia in May would be an ideal intro to overnight hiking and to the AT in Pennsylvania. In my opinion, this stretch is light years nicer than anything north of Route 501. Prettier, more reliable water, no real rocky stretches.

I personally can't think of any stretch from 501 north to Jersey that I'd want to hike more than once, except for the last 8 or 9 miles from Fox Gap to Delaware Water Gap. South of 501 is another matter.
    I agree with PGF-Caledonia. However, you will find many more Hawks and /or snakes north of 501. There are many popular overlooks that are very popular with day hikers (Devils Pulpit, Bake Oven Knob, Bear Rocks, the Knife Edge just on the 14 mile stretch from 309 to Lehigh Gap.) Only whiny Whiteblazers and thruhikers complain about PA. Actually this section beat me up this weekend so count me in as a complainer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler
    ... Only whiny Whiteblazers and thruhikers complain about PA. Actually this section beat me up this weekend so count me in as a complainer.
    Cripes. Did I sound whiny? The rocks are overrated. And it's true that there are a few scenic vistas on the Pa. AT north of 501. But, the northern half of Pa. is mostly ridge walking in a green tunnel, and just rocky enough that you can't look up for miles at a time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler
    The parking is on the north side of Lehigh Gap. Follow the trail south, along the road across the bridge, and up the hill. Rambler
    I live about 35 minutes from this trailhead. I was there 2 weekends ago, doing the ridge route past Devils Pulpit.

I got the impression from the big sign on the North Side Parking lot that you could no longer park there after 8PM.

You can definitely still park on the South side - There is space for about 6 cars. You just can't park along the driveway (there are some landscape timbers along the driveway to prevent this). I did stop in and check with the owners and they mentioned that parking in the small lot on the "road" side of the landscape timbers was fine. - It is difficult to explain but easy to see once you are in front of it.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Hey, thanks for all the additional tips! Yeah, a stretch of the AT up by the Lehigh Valley would be much closer, so I'll definitely look into it as an alternative. I heard great things about the section around Caledonia SP, so that's why I specifically asked about that one. But more firsthand information is definitely always welcome.

Thanks again everyone!

Ray

Dear RMGreen:

I've just finished a series of day-hikes from the MD line through Swatara State Park, about 110 miles. It's a beautiful area. I can offer several suggestions in addition to the ones already submitted.

One alternative is to start at Pine Grove Furnace and go north. That has already been discussed. The only thing I'd add is that parts of it are fairly tough, particularly around Mt. Holly Springs.

If you want a fairly easy hike, I'd start at Boiling Springs and hike North. The downside is that you can't camp in the Cumberland Valley, except for a tent site just south of BS. I maintain a portion of this as a member of CVATC. The first shelter is on top of Blue Mountain at Darlington, about 14 miles away. Next one is Cove Mountain, about 7 miles further. You could then continue north to Duncannon, and then turn around. The only tough part is the steep downhill into Duncannon, which you'll have to repeat going back south.

Another one is to start at Duncannon and go north. The toughest part is a rock hop on top of Peters Mountain. The excellent views make up for it. Clarks Ferry Shelter is about 5 miles north. Peters Mountain is about 6 miles beyond that.

Perhaps my favorite is to start where the AT intersects route 325 (Clarks Valley Rd). north of Harrisburg just south of the Dehart Dam. You'll hike north through St. Anthony's Wilderness a/k/a Stony Creek Valley. There's a moderately difficult two mile uphill right at the beginning. The Rausch Gap Shelter is about 11 miles north. Nice shelter with a spring right in front. Swatara State Park is about 5 miles beyond that. Very picturesque area, including a couple of ghost towns.

Feel free to email me if I can assist further.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I take all the newbies first time out to that section Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP .

For what you want to do and to get a nice night out of it. Begin at Caledonia and hike to Quarry Gap Shelter about 3 miles north-bound. Q-Gap shelter is one of the best shelters on the entire trail. Nice set-up. Stream upfront, coming from Caledonia its a little hump up however. If your fit however, its enjoyable.

A good weekend section would be Pine Groive to Caledonia, then you have, besides Q-GAP; the Birch run and ToM's Run shelters to choose from,
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Thanks for the tips, Jim and Hiker7s. I'll definitely consider the stretches you mentioned, Jim. It would probably be a bit shorter drive for me to get to them, which is always nice when you've only got a weekend. I'll let you know if I come up with any more questions (although it may not be for a few more weeks, closer to when I'm thinking of hiking).

Thanks again!

RMGreen

Images

Here's a great site with some parking information.....
    http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
    Another option to think about, which I enjoy hiking, is starting at the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, walking across the bridge to the NJ side and up to Sunfish Pond. It's the southern most glacial pond on the AT. Once you get into NJ, you enter Worthington State Forest, and there are free maps at the parking area. You can only set up camp at the "backpacker's site" but there are plenty of sites and if you want isolation, it's available. From Sunfish Pond, you can walk back to the bridge to PA using the Dunnfield Creek Trail. This way it's like walking a whole new section. From PA to Sunfish Pond and back is approximately 14-15 miles round trip. It's not as rocky as most sections you'll find in northern PA, either. Like I said, I thoroughly enjoy this hike. Especially on the way back along Dunnfield Creek. You walk along the creek and some spots are picturesque, so bring a camera.
    Some info:
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rthington.html
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Quote Originally Posted by mbroadhe
    Here's a great site with some parking information.....
    http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
    Another option to think about, which I enjoy hiking, is starting at the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, walking across the bridge to the NJ side and up to Sunfish Pond. It's the southern most glacial pond on the AT. Once you get into NJ, you enter Worthington State Forest, and there are free maps at the parking area. You can only set up camp at the "backpacker's site" but there are plenty of sites and if you want isolation, it's available. From Sunfish Pond, you can walk back to the bridge to PA using the Dunnfield Creek Trail. This way it's like walking a whole new section. From PA to Sunfish Pond and back is approximately 14-15 miles round trip. It's not as rocky as most sections you'll find in northern PA, either. Like I said, I thoroughly enjoy this hike. Especially on the way back along Dunnfield Creek. You walk along the creek and some spots are picturesque, so bring a camera.
    Some info:
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rthington.html

1) Why start on the PA side and walk across that nasty smoggy noisy bridge? From the NJ parking lo its about 5 miles up to the Pond on the AT, and barely 6 back on the Dunnfield trail. 11, possible 12 at MOST.

2) Much of the Dunnfield was washed out last fall with the rains. Many places have been relocated, ruining the nice creekside walk, and many of the views. I've posted questions on updates here, but have not seen any responses; leads me to believe they're still out.

3) I still agree with this routing, though I would suggest walking UP the Dunnfield Creek trail and DOWN the AT (DCT is more interesting on the way up, you cross the creek a few times, lots of blow downs...etc; the AT is just up, switchback, up, up, switchback, rather boring). Once you arrive at SFP, the backpacker's campsite is a short hike back down on the AT. From SFP you can connect with the fire trail that hooks around to Mt. Tammany and catch the views.

In the DWG NRA, there are many choices on how to hike. Perhaps plan one hike one weekend, and a different route another. Each will be different, and each will be enjoyable.

Have fun, and watch out for them wiley b'ars, mayhap y'all be needin' a skatter gunn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    1) Why start on the PA side and walk across that nasty smoggy noisy bridge? From the NJ parking lo its about 5 miles up to the Pond on the AT, and barely 6 back on the Dunnfield trail. 11, possible 12 at MOST.

2) Much of the Dunnfield was washed out last fall with the rains. Many places have been relocated, ruining the nice creekside walk, and many of the views. I've posted questions on updates here, but have not seen any responses; leads me to believe they're still out.

3) I still agree with this routing, though I would suggest walking UP the Dunnfield Creek trail and DOWN the AT (DCT is more interesting on the way up, you cross the creek a few times, lots of blow downs...etc; the AT is just up, switchback, up, up, switchback, rather boring). Once you arrive at SFP, the backpacker's campsite is a short hike back down on the AT. From SFP you can connect with the fire trail that hooks around to Mt. Tammany and catch the views.

In the DWG NRA, there are many choices on how to hike. Perhaps plan one hike one weekend, and a different route another. Each will be different, and each will be enjoyable.

Have fun, and watch out for them wiley b'ars, mayhap y'all be needin' a skatter gunn.
    1. You don't have to pay the toll coming back into PA. Yea, I'm cheap and don't like paying tolls. It also IS part of the AT, so why not walk it? Also, the parking is not right off the highway where any thug from NY can get to your car. The parking on the PA side is off main roads.

2. The Dunnfield Creek trail is washed out in spots but you can reroute yourself around it. I found it quite impressive what nature can do and it made the trail more interesting.

3. I WILL agree with your suggestion to walk up the Dunnfield Creek trail and down the AT, though.
    If I had not been able to periodically renew myself in the mountains...I would be very nearly bughouse. - Wallace Stegner in Wilderness and the Geography of Hope

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++