WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a fully waterproof, lightweight sil nylon tarp. It needs to have many grommet holes, not just four. 10x10 size. Will be used for search and rescue applications.

Thanks

I recently bought a sil-poly tarp from Borah Gear, and so far have been pretty happy with it. It's an 8x10, but they are really great about custom orders. I don't think they offer an 8x10 on their web site, but I emailed asking for one, with custom tie outs, and they responded right away saying they would be more than happy to accommodate me. Tho, t did take a few weeks to be made and shipped, but I expected that for the custom work I asked for.

I did a lot of research and decided on sil-poly for its ability to not stretch when it gets wet. Sil-nylon tends to need to have the guylines adjusted more when the tarp gets wet, as the fabric stretches out.

I think the tarp weighs about 12 oz and was in the range of $120.

I have no experience using this tarp but it seems good and reviews are good. not the lightest one out there. but if I was to buy another tarp this would be it: https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/prod...are-10-x-10-ft

If expecting long use or possible extremes of use going with cord or fabric guy outs incorporated into the circumference hem may be more appropriate than grommet holes. The grommets can pull out or offer shorter life expectancy.

Check out Aricxi Ultralight Tarp.... 20d nylon...good coverage, great in the wind, seam sealed, and very inexpensive. Do NOT get their bug bivy unless your body circumference is less than 6 inches.

++ New Posts ++