WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Water Sources

Default Water Sources

Was wondering how the water was from Neels to Unicoi Gap?

Images

the ATC put something out on the FB today saying alot of the GA springs were going dry...

this area hasnt had a good soaking in a while....

they didnt name any specific area though....

OK Thank you for the reply. I will check them out.

any updates Northern Ga and NC? Hiking mid- end October, water looks like it might me scarce.

How about from Amicalola to Neels? I assume it's the same as Neels to Unicoi, but let me know if it's different.
    Not sure you enjoy backpacking? Not ready to tackle the AT yet?
    Join a 1 week Fitpacking trip for an intro and jump-start.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yesterday, someone was putting a plea out on Facebook to aid a group of SOBO hikers that had entered GSMNP and was having issues with water (they were looking for some volunteers to take water to New Found Gap).
    Currently, the online warnings put out by the park service only lists Mollies Ridge as the only AT shelter in GSMNP where the water source is dry. But they've also warned that some water sources that are flowing are as slow as something like 5 minutes per liter.

Russell Field Shelter source was dry yesterday when I walked by. The source 1.7 miles south of Mollies Ridge has water although section hikers told me they found no water there. Walk downhill a bit. When ground is wet look for seeping out of hill to right. All sources in smokies on AT were slow trickles. If planning a hike it may be a bit risky to assume they will still be flowing a few days from now.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Russell Field Shelter source was dry yesterday when I walked by. The source 1.7 miles south of Mollies Ridge has water although section hikers told me they found no water there. Walk downhill a bit. When ground is wet look for seeping out of hill to right. All sources in smokies on AT were slow trickles. If planning a hike it may be a bit risky to assume they will still be flowing a few days from now.
    Current extended weather forecast calls for 1/2" to 1" of rain this weekend in the valleys... perhaps the mountains will get more.
    Also looks like fall is going to arrive this weekend too. Average day-time highs are falling about 15º.

++ New Posts ++