WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Wait, Lou, did Denali go out of business?
    The Mountain of Down came from them when they sold WM bags and they were in Guilford.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Yes, about 2 months ago! The one in Old Saybrook was the last to go, they had a weekend close out sale. Remember OV got me the Green Sticks!
    They suck by the way........I'll need to get a new set of BDs
    Honestly I can’t say I’m surprised. I imagine it’s hard to keep an outfitter afloat these days unless it’s located on the doorstep of a major recreational area like in North Conway or Boulder CO.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Honestly I can’t say I’m surprised. I imagine it’s hard to keep an outfitter afloat these days unless it’s located on the doorstep of a major recreational area like in North Conway or Boulder CO.
    When they moved to Branford, we fixed their managers car. I told him it was hard to find good stuff with them now, they had turned into a boutique. He agreed but said it was hard to compete with on-line sales. Then they changed to 'Denali' and added a few stores and started carrying gear again...........now they are gone. Unfortunate.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    That’s a good idea. A light grease like Vaseline might be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Grease and oil can attract dirt, so you'll want to make sure you keep your threads well covered to keep from adding abrasive to your threads unintentionally. Chap-stick also works well as a thread lube in a case like this. Wax lubes threads also and doesn't attract dirt as much.
    I use a bit of Armor-all, or other silicone lubricant. Vaseline or other petroleum-based lubricants can affect the rubber o-ring in the stove. Better to use silicone or wax. I also keep my stove in a baggie to keep it clean, and use the cap that comes with the canister. Seems to me the things that are most likely to go wrong with good canister stoves would be caused by dirt.

Images

Be careful when extending the pot supports on the BRS3000T stove. I'll try to do a video soon on how to extend them. Do not force the supports open against each other and do not use large diameter pots. Be sure to center pot onto supports.Max size pot should be 700ml capacity. The stove is awsome when used correctly. A 25 gram stove....whoda thunkit!

Also, be sure to purchase only from BRS on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T.../dp/B06XNLSNFR

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM EBAY
    Last edited by zelph; 10-08-2019 at 08:23.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The best price I've seen is $3.99 at Academy Sports. Everywhere else $5-$6.
    I have found outfitters in AT trailtowns sell these for $1 to $2 more than elsewhere...usually around $6 for the small.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Update: found and purchased at rei for $4.95

Zelph: excellent input

Why wouldn’t the 1.6L Stowaway pot from MSR work on the BRS?

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    With food/other in the pot, it probably weighs too much?

Scott

Images

It's too large and heavy.

specs BackpackingLiquid Capacity (L) 1.6 litersLiquid Capacity (fl. oz.) 54.1 fluid ouncesDimensions 8.5 x 7.5 x 4 inchesCookware Material Stainless Steel Weight 19.5 ounces

The BRS is for ultralight kits.

Toaks Light series of pots are ideal.

GSI Halulite minimalist, .6L pot more appropriate?

Images

Just a different opinion here regarding lubing canister threads, but I would caution against lubricating canister threads with anything. No stove manufacturer's manual that I've seen suggests that any thread lubrication is necessary. Oil, grease, wax, etc. are not just dirt magnets, which is bad enough, they can themselves contaminate and/or block the VERY small orifices (about 1/100th inch) in the stove valve/regulator, and could render the stove inoperable. And eventually, whatever substance is put on the threads gets forced up nearer those small passages in the internal valve assembly.

Images

GSI Halulite minimalist, .6L pot more appropriate?
    Yes, that's better. Make sure pot is centered and on a level surface.

Hold the stove upside down when extending the pot supports and hold upside down when retracting them. Place into small provided stuff sack right side up. Stuff sack will help keep stove threads clean.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HG...-a-pmLDg=w2400

Read all of the reviews, lots of helpfull info there:

https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T...pe=all_reviews
    Last edited by zelph; 10-09-2019 at 09:11.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Yes, about 2 months ago! The one in Old Saybrook was the last to go, they had a weekend close out sale. Remember OV got me the Green Sticks!
    They suck by the way........I'll need to get a new set of BDs
    Have you ever tried Leki poles?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Have you ever tried Leki poles?
    Yes, those are the ones she got. Not top of the Leki line but they were decent......the flip lock is excellent. The grip irritates when sweaty and a tip fell off. I had to find 2 rocks and recrimp the end get it to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Just a different opinion here regarding lubing canister threads, but I would caution against lubricating canister threads with anything. No stove manufacturer's manual that I've seen suggests that any thread lubrication is necessary. Oil, grease, wax, etc. are not just dirt magnets, which is bad enough, they can themselves contaminate and/or block the VERY small orifices (about 1/100th inch) in the stove valve/regulator, and could render the stove inoperable. And eventually, whatever substance is put on the threads gets forced up nearer those small passages in the internal valve assembly.
    I’ve had them get wet and rust, which causes them to gall on the aluminum threads of the stove. Now I give them a light coat of grease and use the plastic cover they are sold with. Gives some corrosion resistance and keeps them clean.

I have a BRS 3000 but now that hiking partners all switched back to alcohol and complain about my noise it looks like I'm headed back to the intrepid Starlyte and ss screen stand.It's quiet,dependable,and you always know how much fuel you have left.

Images

I have 6 BRS that I will be giving a maximum burn test to see if any of the pot supports will fail.....when I find the time ,-)

Used the 110g with the brs. It worked. It’s loud. But fast to boil 2 cups. Meh. Mood noise?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++