WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 110g Fuel canisters

Just bought a BRS-5000 whatever stove and looking for what price the 110g fuel can should run. Cursory search yields $9.99 for GSI and $19.99 for another.

Images

$5 in most stores for the small 100-110 gram size. They're more expensive online due to shipping restrictions on flammables. Walmart has them, as do many sporting goods stores.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 09-17-2019 at 18:34.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

The best price I've seen is $3.99 at Academy Sports. Everywhere else $5-$6.

When I have REI dividends left over, and I'm looking for something to buy, I usually stock up on a couple canisters.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    $5 in most stores for the small 100-110 gram size. They're more expensive online due to shipping restrictions on flammables. Walmart has them, as do many sporting goods stores.

Careful with the Walmart cannisters.
    While things might have changed, the last time Walmart cannisters were being discussed, they often only worked with the stove of the same name brand Walmart was selling (and they weren't selling name brands like Jetboil, Snowpeak, MSR).

Really good info thanks for sharing

My local Walmart only sells the larger cannisters in the store.I was able to order the 100g cannisters online.Can't remember what they cost but it was not exorbitant.You can refill them with butane but I have never done that.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 09-18-2019 at 16:15.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Just bought a BRS-5000 whatever stove and looking for what price the 110g fuel can should run. Cursory search yields $9.99 for GSI and $19.99 for another.
    You show as being located in Washington DC. There's several REI stores in the area. While REI no longer sells canisters online (shipping restrictions), their stores should carry 110g canisters... likely MSR, JetBoil, Primus, or SnowPeak. I would expect their price to be about $5-$6.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Academy Sport web site claims that they sell 100g Jetboil canisters for only $3.49 (again, store pickup only).
    However, the last time I looked for fuel canisters at my local Academy Sports, they only sold the larger 227g MSR canisters.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Academy Sport web site claims that they sell 100g Jetboil canisters for only $3.49 (again, store pickup only).
    However, the last time I looked for fuel canisters at my local Academy Sports, they only sold the larger 227g MSR canisters.
    The store I visit most often had a long period of being out of stock if the small JetBoil cansiters, but they finally got them in and they have remained in stock every time I have been back since.

I live a mile from the DC flagship store and flaked on going to visit them. Of course they carry it. Lazyweb, much?

You show as being located in Washington DC. There's several REI stores in the area. While REI no longer sells canisters online (shipping restrictions), their stores should carry 110g canisters... likely MSR, JetBoil, Primus, or SnowPeak. I would expect their price to be about $5-$6.

While things might have changed, the last time Walmart cannisters were being discussed, they often only worked with the stove of the same name brand Walmart was selling (and they weren't selling name brands like Jetboil, Snowpeak, MSR).
    I have heard that, but since the local outfitter closed in my town, our Boy Scout troop typically gets the Walmart canisters (albeit the 220 ones) and they work with several MSR brand stoves with no issues.

Images

So unfortunate that Denali couldn't make it. I have so much gear from them over the years!

Add Dicks to the Academy & REI list.
    Economically speaking, the middle size canisters are a steal compared to the small size.
    Wayne

Images

I didn't know this. I always see them at WM, but haven't ever bought one there as I usually have MSR or JB canisters around. But apparently there is something with the Coleman canisters sold at WM that doesn't allow the stove stem to open the canister Lindal valve properly. https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot...s-caution.html

Now, for a trip down memory lane, I also remember the old threadless Bluet stove style canisters (Camping Gaz brand) that looked almost exactly the same as current canisters except that there were no treads on the Lindal valve connection (the stove gripped the inside rim of the canister top), and the ones with no valve that had to be pierced by a metal point on the stove - but both of those those have pretty much been gone from the US for many years, although France seems to still use them. [There's a derogatory France joke to be found here somewhere...] https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot...sters-101.html

Before heading out, I usually put a light coat of oil around the threads of my canister stove. I feel like it helps protects the stove threads, and helps to make a better seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Before heading out, I usually put a light coat of oil around the threads of my canister stove. I feel like it helps protects the stove threads, and helps to make a better seal.
    That’s a good idea. A light grease like Vaseline might be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    That’s a good idea. A light grease like Vaseline might be even better.
    Grease and oil can attract dirt, so you'll want to make sure you keep your threads well covered to keep from adding abrasive to your threads unintentionally. Chap-stick also works well as a thread lube in a case like this. Wax lubes threads also and doesn't attract dirt as much.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    So unfortunate that Denali couldn't make it. I have so much gear from them over the years!
    Wait, Lou, did Denali go out of business?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Yes, about 2 months ago! The one in Old Saybrook was the last to go, they had a weekend close out sale. Remember OV got me the Green Sticks!
    They suck by the way........I'll need to get a new set of BDs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++