WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Dehydrated veggies.

I found some dehydrated veggies at the co-op in hanover in 2010 that were really good, but can't remember the brand name. Not so concerned with the brand but wanted suggestions for brands i could order online that are good. The ones i found in hanover had corn, carrots, peas, and tomatoes, maybe a few other things. They were perfect for throwing a handful in ramen and what not. Anyone know of a similar priduct?

I have ordered from Harmony House in the past and have been happy. They have many choices and combinations.

Buy a dehydrator at a yard sale (lots of them out there). Throw some bags of frozen veggies from the supermarket on the trays. Store the dried veggies in a ziploc, or an clean, empty peanut butter jar. The results will last for months if kept cool & dry.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Honeyville https://honeyville.com/. Buy a vacuum sealer and some oxygen absorber packs and repackage. I use them to thicken up soups to keep my inventory turned over.

They have sales on six #10 tin cans on occasion, big savings over the smaller packages sold at backpacking stores.

Journal Entries

I have 7 quart containers of dehydrated veggies that I bought from Harmony House in 2013. Includes corn, peas, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, and broccoli.
    I have made a few attempts to use them in trail meals, but with mostly disappointing results. I couldn't get the peas, corn, or mushrooms to rehydrate sufficiently.

I hate to throw them away. If anybody in the area wants to adopt them, they're free. Send a PM and we'll find a way to connect.

If you dehydrate a pound of frozen vegetables yourself, like I did, you might yield 2.5 ounces of material.

Vegitarian backpacking food from a company called Outdoor Herbivore has a good freeze dried veggie mix that I like and will order again. The high altitude hot breakfast cereal was a pleasant surprise as well

Dutchware has a nice selection of freeze dried vegetables, fruit and meat.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca.../freeze-dried/
    Wayne

Knorr vegetable recipe soup mix is basically dehydrated vegetables

++ New Posts ++