Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Summer Sausage

  1. #1

    Default Summer Sausage

    Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-01-2014
    Location
    Norwell, MA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    . . . Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?
    Oh geez, isn't one enough!?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?
    Armour Treet is close...

    th.jpg

    I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,073
    Images
    3

    Default

    Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?


    yeah....

    its found in the dog food aisle....

    (disclaimer---I have not nor will I ever try it)

  5. #5
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    73
    Posts
    8,289

    Default

    Summer Sausage has been around since forever.
    How did you miss it?
    I avoid the “doctored” up varieties like Jalapeño peppers. Great on the trail. I buy the smaller sizes. Keeps as long as it takes me to eat it.
    Wayne

  6. #6
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    6,877
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.
    Author Paul Theroux wrote that the reason Spam is so popular in Oceania is that its flavor most closely approximates that of long pig (human flesh).

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats.
    I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
    Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.

  8. #8
    Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-15-2002
    Location
    Sugar Grove, Virginia
    Age
    86
    Posts
    1,351
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    There were recent posts about ketogenic backpacking. I haven't been able to find them and you;d appreciate someone's help.--Thanks.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
    Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.
    Hormel really didn’t need a patent anyway. What company in their right mind would want to duplicate THAT?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  10. #10

    Default

    Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.

  11. #11
    Registered User SoaknWet's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-14-2017
    Location
    Washington,Pa
    Age
    70
    Posts
    136

    Default

    And there are a lot of us today that still enjoy Spam.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.
    Nikita Khrushchev credited SPAM with helping the Red Army defeat the German army in WWII. Every WWII movie has at least one SPAM reference,(usually a joke), in it.

    I think I bought a can of "PREM" at the Dollar Tree...it was a bad imitation of SPAM.
    "Adam & Eve are the first two persons who failed to read the Apple Permissions & Exclusions."

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •