WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interesting topic. I've been dealing with anxiety for the past couple of years, and my lifestyle is something that anyone would ask 'what the heck do you have to be anxious about'?!?!?!? My wife & I are retired, and basically hike full time as the weather allows - and we're only 54. The only time I'm anxious is from 3-8 am, which of course is crippling for an effective nights sleep. I've determined my anxiety (after my doctor suggested it) is pretty much directly linked to a back injury from 1995, and the subsequent problems of crippling back spasms that occur 1-2x per year. In 2017 it all came to a head as I tried a chiropractic solution, which totally screwed me up for more than 6 months (basically couldn't sit that entire time). I thought once I was better all would be great going forward, but the brain loves a good joke (as the anxiety crept up this past year).

My doctor suggested 3 things ... drug, therapist, or anxiety apps. I'm on a drug called Deloxetine at a very low dose, which helps a lot (pretty much back to my normal self). The plan is to be on this drug for a year or so, and concurrently start with those anxiety apps ... and eventually get off the drug when my brain has distanced itself from 2017, and learned a few coping tactics (with the reality of my back's faults).

Nothing like being truly humbled to change one's attitude towards mental illnesses. IMHO: chiropractic science is just plain BS.

Good luck with your own journey ... you are not alone.

Anxiety can degenerate into a medical disorder. I maintain part of the reason for apprehension is a lack of understanding made worse because our culture is on info overload required to do anything. We require to supposedly know all things, nervous and apprehensive, even fearful of the unfamiliar... to which I say where're folks explorative and adventurous spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by BCPete View Post

IMHO: chiropractic science is just plain BS.
    I will have to take exception to that remark. You just have to know what it can and can't do.

I've pinched nerves in my spine a couple of times and Chiropractor's have pushed in just the right spot to pop something back in place and cured me.

If your simply out of alignment for some reason, that's one thing. If your seriously damaged, that's quite another.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Anxiety is real and nothing to be ashamed of.From what I observe,it can run in families as my wife has it,as did her mother and paternal grandfather.There are other family members that have it as well.I had a pretty good dose of it one day as the trail got higher and narrower and the sky turned ominously black.So I turned around.

Maybe a little anxiety is a good thing? It can keep you from doing stupid things and taking unnecessary chances but when it gets out of control it can become debilitating and will require some sort of therapy or treatment.I have always wondered how many people with substance abuse issues are self medicating their anxiety and/or depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I will have to take exception to that remark. You just have to know what it can and can't do.

I've pinched nerves in my spine a couple of times and Chiropractor's have pushed in just the right spot to pop something back in place and cured me.

If your simply out of alignment for some reason, that's one thing. If your seriously damaged, that's quite another.
    Agreed with Slo - the Chiropractor I used to alleviate some serious back pain issues is a Medical Doctor as well. There is a lot of science behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++