WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I rarely stumble over rocks and roots, but I do have a very difficult time with slippery surfaces, be they slick from rain or ice, and especially if I am going downhill on slippery surfaces. Large flat rocks when wet, especially if they are covered in lichen, make me extremely nervous. I use hiking poles, and I honestly don't think that I would be able to hike without them because of the added stability they bring.

Enough to appreciate a solid pair of trekking poles! BD alpine carbon corks have saved my arse more times than can count!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i fell a few times over the years, but i will always remember my first & only fall on my northbound thru-hike in 1999. it was in the 100 mile wilderness, i was hiking with Stone Monkey and just 2 minutes earlier we were talking about falling. we had a good laugh after that.. Lol

Images

A lot of falls, but nothing serious. I do know that its important to pay attention to the "three-trip rule". Three trips within several minutes = time to take a break.
    Simple is good.

If you're not falling, you're not hiking. It's part of it. Walking is a (mostly) controlled fall. I just try to remember not to fall on the "hard parts". That's what the soft parts are for.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    If you're not falling, you're not hiking. It's part of it. Walking is a (mostly) controlled fall. I just try to remember not to fall on the "hard parts". That's what the soft parts are for.
    Walking, like skiing, can be considered as a series of linked recoveries; at least in my case.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++