WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    ... these PDF ones are probably better...
    The PDF maps that are online are just sections of the RI State highway map that have been highlighted.

Years ago, Ken Weber, (now deceased), an outdoor writer for "The Providence Journal" wrote "50 Walks in RI" which covered the whole state. I haven't been able to find it on line, but the Providence Journal newspaper used to sell it, and Ken's other books, via mail order.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Another vote for CalTopo. It's an absolutely incredible DIY resource if you're willing to put a little time into going through the tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by BenK View Post
    Thanks! I currently live in Cumberland and have walked these places that you speak of. these maps are cool, but I was specifically looking for topo maps for compass and orienteering purposes...
    I got my topos from these people many years ago: https://mapcenter.com/
    The Map Center Inc.
    545 Pawtucket Ave MS208
    Suite A114
    Pawtucket Rhode Island, 02860 USA
    Telephone (401) 421-2184
    Toll Free (888) 568-6277
    (888) 568-MAPS

email: [email protected]

Retail showroom open weekdays 10AM to 5PM.

Take a ride and check them out.

(I am not affiliated with them.)

I think that you can still order topos from the USGS website, but why spend the $$$ when you download & print them for free?
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 09-20-2019 at 20:52.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    The PDF maps that are online are just sections of the RI State highway map that have been highlighted.

Years ago, Ken Weber, (now deceased), an outdoor writer for "The Providence Journal" wrote "50 Walks in RI" which covered the whole state. I haven't been able to find it on line, but the Providence Journal newspaper used to sell it, and Ken's other books, via mail order.
    I actually own 2 RI books by Ken Weber
    "Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island" and "More Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island"

are either of these the one your referring to or does he have another one titled "50 Walks in Rhode Island"

"The North South Trail" by Cliff Vanover is definitely the cats meow of guides/maps for that trail. I can't open the pages enough to copy anything without damaging the book though, or I'd offer to help out with some maps. Too bad it's so rare and not reprinted, must just not be popular enough...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

"Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island" and "More Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island".

are either of these the one your referring to or does he have another one titled "50 Walks in Rhode Island"

"The North South Trail" by Cliff Vanover is definitely the cats meow of guides/maps for that trail. I can't open the pages enough to copy anything without damaging the book though, or I'd offer to help out with some maps. Too bad it's so rare and not reprinted, must just not be popular enough...
    No, the title was " 50 Walks in RI". It contained line drawing trail maps that I highlighted on USGS topo maps.

I once had a book of topo maps that covered the entire state. It consisted of topo quads divided into 4 sections and reproduced as a 8 1/2 x 11 inch book with a plastic spiral binding that allowed you to remove pages, as needed.

"Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island" and "More Walks and Rambles in Rhode Island"

You could use one of the free phone apps that allow you to take a picture of a document and convert it to PDF format. You might get a usable image of the trail maps without damaging the book.

I'm not to good with smart phones or technology but if anyone is interested in maps out of the North South Trail guide let me know on here or message me... Maybe I could take the best pics I can and send them to someone to convert to PDF. Or if someone wants to give me a quick run through I could try myself.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I'm not to good with smart phones or technology but if anyone is interested in maps out of the North South Trail guide let me know on here or message me... Maybe I could take the best pics I can and send them to someone to convert to PDF. Or if someone wants to give me a quick run through I could try myself.
    There are several free phone apps available on the Google Playstore, and probably the MS Store, that do all the work for you. You can also save the images and paste them into a word file and save the document in .pdf format using Open Office, or Libre Office, (Both are free office suites comparable to the MS Office suite).

If you take the pics, PM me for an email address and I will convert them over for you.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A GPX track of the North-South Trail can be found here:
    http://www.rigis.org/datasets/north-south-trail

Updated in 2017.

Print out your maps via CalTopo using the USGS layer or the OpenStreet Map later (less detail; more updated).

Outside of the NST, on CalTopo, I'd print out USGS maps for Arcadia Management Area as it is relatively large by RI standards. You can can practice map and compass fundamentals there efficiently. I took an AMC class back in 1996 there and those fundamentals I learned helped me on all my future hikes.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++