WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I feel like my cook system is a huge heave mismash of stuff....

I would like to consolidate and lighten up my cook system. I feel like it takes up a huge portion of my pack. I enjoy cooking. I usually take frozen meats, fresh veggies, eggs, cheese, pancakes... I would like to explore making breads and cakes. Its hard with one pot/burner. the Primus classic doent boil fast and it seems to use alot of fuel. I am looking for suggestions.

Currently I use/take...
    Primus Classic canister stove
    canister stand
    GSI Pinnacle dualest 1.8L pot
    GSI 8' frypan
    MSR Alpine spatula
    long handle Ti spork
    Last edited by OhioHiker; 09-05-2019 at 19:00.

Go dehydrated and you can cook the same food with a single liter size pot and a spoon. Just boil water, add food, wait, eat.

Dehydrate the food yourself. Don't buy Mountain House garbage...

Journal Entries

Our stove is a Primus, several years old now. I couldn't find our model on the Primus website. I've been very happy with it. It boils quickly, and simmers well.

We carry the stove, which has a pot with it, and most of the time we carry a small frying pan. I have one of those backpacking pans with the folding handle, but I don't use it. Instead, we took a regular kitchen frying pan and removed the handle. It's deeper than the folding pan, has steeper sides, and holds more food. Most importantly, the bottom is thicker, so it spreads heat better. And best of all, it weighs within half an ounce of what the other one does. I don't eat meat, but I've used it on the trail to cook vege-meats, pancakes (not very often), quesadillas, sauteed veggies, cornbread/muffin "pancakes", hash browns, sweet tater fries, grilled cheese, and probably half a dozen other things.

With both the pot and the pan, I can prepare meals that have more variety, and more texture than I could with only the pot. But like you, I have only one burner. Typically I'll try to plan the meal so that I use the pot to partially cook something like pasta, and set it aside with the lid and a little insulation to hydrate and finish cooking. While that's going on, I use the frying pan to cook the other dish, swapping them out briefly if I think the pasta needs a little more heat. It works pretty well most of the time.

What we carry is very similar to your list:
    Stove and fuel
    Two bowls and spoons
    Frying pan and spatula with handle cut down

I'm cooking for two. Not sure I'd go to so much trouble if it was just me. It helps that my husband carries the stove and fuel (and tent and water filter). But I carry the food, so it kinda evens out. When we begin a section, sometimes the food doesn't all fit in my pack, especially if I'm carrying special items like bread that I don't want squished. When that happens, my husband gets to carry a few extra things.

Finally I will say that there's no "right" list or "right" way to cook. Do what makes you happy.

1.8L pot is pretty big, so is a 8" fry pan. That's your problem if your just cooking for one.

I use a 750 ml pot and a 4" fry pan. A 9 oz canister fits into the pot and the fry pan is about the same diameter as the pot, so it stacks compactly. I have a fitted stuff sack to hold the combo together. I don't use a stand or a wind screen, but I should get a screen.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There is also the camping vs hiking cooking style.

Making pancakes, baking bread or cakes is more suited for the lazy weekend camping trip.

If your on a distance hiking trip, you don't have time or energy to do any complicated cooking. Boil water and be done with it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++