WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

i was just in the area and second this campsite. one of those, wow i wish i stayed here type thing in the morning.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    wow i wish i stayed here type thing in the morning.
    That doesn't make sense to me???

sorry.
    i meant that i camped near it, and when i passed it in the morning, i wised that i had stayed there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post

And wonderful water bars, freshly cleared, on either side of the Gap. Magnificent water bars, as a matter of fact. Perhaps the best of any on the entire Appalachian Trail.
    Thankyou. Some people could take a lesson in modesty from you. Seriously.
    Again, thanks.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries
    Images

sorry.
    i meant that i camped near it, and when i passed it in the morning, i wised that i had stayed there.
    Oh Oh yes, where was it?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Oh Oh yes, where was it?
    I'm guessing he's talking about Steeltrap Gap that DWM mentioned.

Oh Oh yes, where was it?
    Steeltrap gap, which i think is the next spot downhill from Tray mt, if traveling north. am i right DWM?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Steeltrap gap, which i think is the next spot downhill from Tray mt, if traveling north. am i right DWM?
    The geological names get confusing north of Tray. I tend to think that Tray has two summits, the rocky southern one with the views and the northern one with the shelter. Right? But then as you go north from the shelter you drop then climb up another rise which may be a shoulder of Tray? I don't think it has a name. Anyway, once over that rise you drop down into another gap called Wolfpen Gap, then there's another, shorter climb before dropping into Steeltrap. And that climb between Wolfpen and Steeltrap may also be part of Tray, I don't know its name either.

So in my best Bill Clinton impersonation: It depends on what is or isn't part of Tray. Between Steeltrap and the cutoff to the Tray shelter the hiker will see 2 more climbs and gaps.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, well my meticulously planned out itinerary had me going about .6 further, but I might just stop at Steeltrap instead. DWM is telling me .6 further would put me almost up on Young Lick.

Whitefoot, is that the best hammock site in that general area or did you see some better hammock spots a little further up the trail like I want to be? Thanks to all!!

DWM, thanks for going in front of me and maintaining the section!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh yeah, since the experts are on this thread, does the AT summit Kelly Knob or not. I am trying to get all the 4000+ summits I can get in Georgia, Kelly Knob is one of them.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Oh yeah, since the experts are on this thread, does the AT summit Kelly Knob or not. I am trying to get all the 4000+ summits I can get in Georgia, Kelly Knob is one of them.
    I think it passes just to the west of the summit.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    I think it passes just to the west of the summit.
    There is a short blue blaze that is well worth the time and effort. I took a long lazy break at the overlook one sunny November day

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    There is a short blue blaze that is well worth the time and effort. I took a long lazy break at the overlook one sunny November day

Egads
    How far Egads?

Good to see you again BTW!!

Ditto.

There are several nice obvious hammock campsites north of Tray and well before the Swag of the BlueRidge. In most of these, you can find water down hill south (off the the right heading NOBO). This is a very nice stroll if you aren't having to push a 17 mile pace the first day to get from Unicoi to Dicks Creek in one mega swoop.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    Ditto.

There are several nice obvious hammock campsites north of Tray and well before the Swag of the BlueRidge. In most of these, you can find water down hill south (off the the right heading NOBO). This is a very nice stroll if you aren't having to push a 17 mile pace the first day to get from Unicoi to Dicks Creek in one mega swoop.
    Thanks, yes I am taking this one slow and easy. I pulled or stressed something in my right thigh back in the middle of February on The Coosa Backcountry Trail. The long pull from calf Stomp to Coosa Bald hit me like a ton of bricks up there somehow. So I am not going to try to do any more than 7 miles a day, and that is on day one so if I do start to stove up, I will not have to push big miles the next two days. I am being dropped off at 7AM Thursday and picked up at 1PM Saturday. Plenty of time to enjoy my hike in between.

Any good hammock sites near Deep Creek? Forecast is for rain Friday night, so I might actually be IN the shelter, even though I don't want to.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Deep Creek. The two shelters between Unicoi and Dick's Creek are Tray and Kelly Knob. Both are nice shelters with great water, good views on Tray. But this is an area with more good campsites and hammock sites than you might imagine.

But given what sounds like a hamstring pull, I'd be very cautious with going too far downhill, especially if slippery, to get water. Get a bunch on Tray before heading downhill for the evening.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post

Egads
    That's another place to camp. No fire ring, though. Gets grown over in the summer. I like it because it makes good padding. There is a nice view of the ridge with the AT route going north and Lake Whatsitsname.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That's another place to camp. No fire ring, though. Gets grown over in the summer. I like it because it makes good padding. There is a nice view of the ridge with the AT route going north and Lake Whatsitsname.
    I might try to make it up there. I'd love to camp looking down on Lake Burton. I spent a lot of time up there in my younger days. Virtually lived on Lake Burton when a relative had a house up there.

Images

I might try to make it up there. I'd love to camp looking down on Lake Burton. I spent a lot of time up there in my younger days. Virtually lived on Lake Burton when a relative had a house up there.
    Bring your water with you if you do.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Bring your water with you if you do.
    Just finished looking at my guide to see the closest water! I am quite used to camping dry on the Coosa. Thanks!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++