WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is there a modfication for Sierra cup handle

Ideas please. As anyone done this; I like the cup but in the bag the handle gets in the way and I don't like gear hanging off my pack.

May not be what you're looking for but why don't you cut off the handle? That would solve your problem; although it might create another one for you as well. If you're concerned about holding the cup and it being too hot to handle, you could look into making a coozie for it out of reflectix. That would hold the heat away from your fingers. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Get one with a handle that folds flat on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...AEC1ZP1VG04CJM

Edit: There are two pictures on this Amazon link. One with the handle open, and one with it folded.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 09-27-2019 at 13:59.

Journal Entries

IDK which one you are talking about but it appears like one of them the handle can be pushed in and perhaps slipped out of the holes, thus detaching it, which will allow one to carry the 2 separately. However I think the above advice is sound, get a different cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    IDK which one you are talking about but it appears like one of them the handle can be pushed in and perhaps slipped out of the holes, thus detaching it, which will allow one to carry the 2 separately. However I think the above advice is sound, get a different cup.
    The second picture on the Amazon link in post 3 shows the handle folded over so it is flat on the bottom of the cup.

I never did like Sierra cups. Nearly impossible to drink out of without it dribbling down your chin. Definately not good for hot drinks.

The GSI-Outdoors version with it's folding handle would solve your handle problem. Sort of, its still an odd shape.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A bit off topic, but have you considered an IMUSA mug? They come in two sizes: 10cm/.7qt and 12cm/1.25 qt and can serve as decent UL cookpots as well. They're pretty cheap here in the US from Walmart, $2 for the small one, $4.50 for the large. UK prices on Amazon are outrageous though...
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA...ilver/15040697
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA...ilver/15040696

I use a titanium one like these where the handle folds in. I stick it in my food bag and stuff food into so it doesn't take up space--candy or maybe an avocado or tomato. I don't have a drinking problem so I use it mainly for tea, cider, or hot chocolate. In a pinch maybe I cook in it but it is only 10 oz and makes a small portion. Mine happens to fit the as the lid on my 900 ml pot.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Thanks for the replies; seeing the folding handle ones I might get the drill out and try a modification. I pick it up a lot in my Go To box but never use it so if I spoil it no great loss. I am in the UK but bought it in Yosemite. I think I used to fill Platypus.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    A bit off topic, but have you considered an IMUSA mug? They come in two sizes: 10cm/.7qt and 12cm/1.25 qt and can serve as decent UL cookpots as well. They're pretty cheap here in the US from Walmart, $2 for the small one, $4.50 for the large. UK prices on Amazon are outrageous though...
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA...ilver/15040697
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA...ilver/15040696
    Thank you for posting these links! I was recently looking for the 0.7 at walmart.com and only found the "other seller" at 6.99. I think Dutchware has it at $5. Anyway, one of my interests in it is that, IIRC, aluminum is 2nd only to copper in heat conduction, and with cooler weather finally here, it could improve my stove results - no matter whether I'm doing canister or alcohol stove. Currently I use stainless pots/mugs, which, although being well behind aluminum in heat conduction, are supposedly more efficient than titanium. However, IDK if those heat conduction measures can be directly used for comparison, if the pots aren't comparable in weight/thickness/density. In any case, sometimes my tall SS pot (Stanley, 24 oz) is rather slow to get to a rolling boil no matter what stove. Recently I used a shorter 18 oz SS mug/pot and it did quite well, using under 11g of a canister per 12 oz boiled. Also had good luck with the 1.5 qt aluminum pot (Mainstays grease dispenser). So I'm thinking aluminum might really help me with the alcohol stove (with which I use a windscreen, but still get highly variable results).

Stainless is easy to clean. My recollection is that aluminum is not (assume no coating).

As for the handle, yeah, it's not great for packing, but perhaps could be overcome with some thoughtful bundling with non-rigid stuff. If one had a Dremel type tool, it could be removed and maybe a separable pot grabber could be used. I've seen a metal clamp-type device that might work - one needn't be limited to hotpad-type solutions like bandanas, silicone bands, and so forth.

I was there when these came out in the 1970's and I believe the handles were shaped that way so that you could attach it to your belt. Personally I think there are better options than Sierra cups...

Images

Bend the handle to make it shorter?

++ New Posts ++