WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Cohos Trail April 2020

The last thread for the CT was pretty old so thought a new one would be in order. I am planning a thru hike of this trail (NOBO is likely but not 100% sure yet) and don't want to wait until next fall. Being in the ski industry,this leaves my other option as April/May. I don't want to end up out there in mud season and the almanac says we are in for a cold winter so hopefully the ground will still be frozen by the time I start. Could go as early as April 20th. Any thoughts on that?

Was also wondering how the trail has been looking. Last thread was from 2015 with the most recent post from this year saying there has been improvements but still some work needed. Has anyone been through recently?

I lived in Colebrook for several years and hiked the CT a good bit. Being in Bethlehem you likely have a good idea of conditions that time of year. Most of the time at elevation your up to your knees in rotten snow or mud likely both. I get the impatience. Can you go this fall? I’m all for a challenge but probably would not enjoy that much. Not to mention the increased impact that time of year. Southern NE or southern appalachians would be nice that time of year. Of course you know you so HYOH as they say.

I hiked the trail in 2016 and probably started that thread.

April is too early imo. There will likely still be lots of snow on trail. If not snow, mud. The southern part of the trail going through the presedentials, you will likely need light traction and possibly even crampons. If not you may deal with an unstable monorail which means post holing and slow hiking.

The trail is rugged. April conditions would make it much harder.

The best time to hike the Cohos is Late August - September.

October is starting to get really cold. July and August is hot and buggy.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Some parts of the Cohos trail are snowmobile trails. They will be a mess in April. You really shouldn't be on these trails until at least June. April tends to be wet as you should well know. Much of the Cohos trail is overgrown. It's a car wash. Like fastfox said, the best time is right about now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some parts of the Cohos trail are snowmobile trails. They will be a mess in April. You really shouldn't be on these trails until at least June. April tends to be wet as you should well know. Much of the Cohos trail is overgrown. It's a car wash. Like fastfox said, the best time is right about now.
    Agreed. Looking back on it. There were was miles up miles of bog bridges on the cohos. Including the longest in the northeast! So many backcountry ponds. I hiked the trail in last week of Sept/first week of october and the mud was still real.

The Cohos Trail Association does remarkable trail work. But the trail still has "remote" sections for New Hampshire. It will always be rugged.

Davis path, Eisenhower, kilkenny ridge will likely be monorailed, muddy, post holing, or buggy in April. Probably all of them. Microspikes would most likely be necessary. As you move north the peaks will likely still have snow and ice while the snowmobile and off road trail will be tore up and mud pits.

Not trying to be the negative person. But April is probably the worst time to be out there.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    I lived in Colebrook for several years and hiked the CT a good bit. Being in Bethlehem you likely have a good idea of conditions that time of year. Most of the time at elevation your up to your knees in rotten snow or mud likely both. I get the impatience. Can you go this fall?
    Maybe I could do another week off in late fall.. I'm starting my section hike of the AT with the 100 mile wilderness at the end of September so already have a full itinerary Maybe sticking to something with shelters for the spring/ late winter would be better and do CT next fall after all. Who knows, maybe I will be able to sneak away before the ski season ends! Thanks for the suggestions/ input!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I hiked the trail in 2016 and probably started that thread.
    I think it was you! Haha. Yeah, I definitely don't want to post hole for 100 miles. I did a short overnight to Zealand Falls for the solstice last winter and that was nice. I am not opposed to winter hiking but some poor fool did leave a track of 2 foot deep holes all the way up. What about XC skiing this trail?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Agreed. Looking back on it. There were was miles up miles of bog bridges on the cohos. Including the longest in the northeast! So many backcountry ponds. I hiked the trail in last week of Sept/first week of october and the mud was still real.
    Wow! Wet and muddy this time of year too eh? I bet its a lot like some of the bike trails we have here; they never dry completely. Don't do the CT in April. Heard loud and clear haha,

The Cohos has a lot of lowland trail that proceeds along lakes, streams and rivers, so there is a good chance of wet and muddy stretches whenever it isn't frozen as the often there really isn't anyplace for the water to run off to.

++ New Posts ++