WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Zpacks Scout version packs

Hey, all, does anyone use the "Scout" model of either of the Zpacks backpacks? We are looking at an Arc Haul Scout for my partner, who currently uses a small ULA Circuit with a short torso, S-curve straps, etc. I have the regular Arc Haul, and my understanding is that if we order the "short torso" version that we get the same pack body but the suspension is smaller, which is likely to leave the top of the pack towering over her head. The "Scout" model is designed with a smaller pack bag.

So I have two main questions:

1. Would the Scout model fit an adult woman? I am certain that the torso length is fine (perfect, even), but I am concerned about the rest of the suspension being optimized for 12 year old boys

2. What about the capacity? Zpacks lists the main body at 50 liters, and I am finding it impossible to compare that to the ULA site where they break out everything in cubic inches and include the "extension collar" which screws up my calculations. Can anyone compare the main compartment capacity to a Circuit or an Ohm? Or even to the regular Arc Haul? Is it appropriate for a lightweight backpacker who sometimes goes solo? Her small Circuit is sometimes a little tight, but generally works. (I did email Zpacks to ask but they were not able to give me an answer.)

Thanks for any insight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

This quote from the article you posted sort of sums up my problem:

"To provide an example, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa is described nominally as a 60-liter pack and the Haglofs L.I.M. Strive as 50 liters. However, we found these two models were nearly identical in volume, both when performing our laboratory volume testing with ping pong balls and when packing in the same kit for a five-day wintertime trip on the Appalachian Trail. "

Listed capacities are simply not comparable. Argh.

Thanks!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Both ULA and zPacks will accept returns. I think the only way to compare is to buy both, test packing each of them and wearing it (indoors) and then return one. You are out the cost of return shipping but I think that’s worth it.

My wife has a scout model and she is happy with it although she has only used it on one three day trip so far. She is about 5 ft 3. As to size of the bag, I don't know the capacity, but it worked fine, A very good sized pack and bag for her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seawoods View Post
    My wife has a scout model and she is happy with it although she has only used it on one three day trip so far. She is about 5 ft 3. As to size of the bag, I don't know the capacity, but it worked fine, A very good sized pack and bag for her.
    Thanks! Appreciate the info on your experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++