WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: headlamp

Default headlamp

how light can you go on a headlamp, including battery weight, for a lamp that provides enough light for predawn and some night hiking and also has a red lamp option?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Nitecore NU25.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Mine is a Black Diamond of some kind. Weights under 2 OZ with 2 AAA cells. I can't find in on the REI site, so maybe replaced by a newer model. Wasn't too expensive as I recall.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Nitecore NU25.
    This and if you want it even lighter, you either order it from Litesmith with the bungee cord headband(.99-1oz). Or you can mod it yourself.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

That nitecore NU25 looks like a great option, but be aware, the specs on it are misleading, it is not 0.9 ounces, more like 1.9 ounces with the headband. Still, pretty darn UL for a versatile headlamp.

Anyone have any actual experience with this headlamp?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    That nitecore NU25 looks like a great option, but be aware, the specs on it are misleading, it is not 0.9 ounces, more like 1.9 ounces with the headband. Still, pretty darn UL for a versatile headlamp.

Yes, the Hiking Hammonds used it. They wrote a review and based on that, I bought one. Yes, I got it from the Litesmite site with the line mod to be lighter. It seems like a good light. Since most people are carrying a battery back up, you can recharge in the field.

Hiking Hammonds blog > https://hikinghammonds.com/
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Mine is a Black Diamond of some kind. Weights under 2 OZ with 2 AAA cells. I can't find in on the REI site, so maybe replaced by a newer model. Wasn't too expensive as I recall.
    Any chance you're talking about the Black Diamond Ion Headlamp?

That's what I currently use. It's quoted at 1.9oz, used two AAA cells, has a max brightness of 100 lumens, and could usually be purchased for $15-$20. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and could be difficult to find.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Yes, the Hiking Hammonds used it. They wrote a review and based on that, I bought one. Yes, I got it from the Litesmite site with the line mod to be lighter. It seems like a good light. Since most people are carrying a battery back up, you can recharge in the field.

Hiking Hammonds blog > https://hikinghammonds.com/
    Thanks, perfect, just ordered one. My 10-year-old Mammut S lite has finally dies, it was my favorite UL lamp, 1.4oz with one single AA Lithium battery, only 30 lumens, but plenty for spring/summer hiking.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

I know you pulled the trigger already but yes, I have had one for a year or two after buying a NU-30 or 35 before that. I almost did the headband mod but decided I like the original headband more than the shock cord version. I have night hiked with it multiple times for 2-4 hours at a time, used it in camp and it lasts for a long time.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I know you pulled the trigger already but yes, I have had one for a year or two after buying a NU-30 or 35 before that. I almost did the headband mod but decided I like the original headband more than the shock cord version. I have night hiked with it multiple times for 2-4 hours at a time, used it in camp and it lasts for a long time.
    Thanks... I did not get the shock-cord option, I've got a bunch of various thicknesses/lengths of shock cord, plan on modding it myself, then deciding on whether to save the additional 0.7 ounce or so.

Images

i have one of these as well and it works really well once one gets used to the switch....

not sure what mine weighs out at and i bought it at a discount REI sale for 6 bucks..

figured i couldnt lose with that price and it has served me well for a couple of years now....

Journal Entries

I have successfully used and hiked with a very small headlamp which uses a CR-123 battery or something like a quarter. I don't know what type it was, but it was bright enough, and even with a spare CR-123 on me it was much lighter that alternatives. I don't think I would knowingly go into a night hike with that (with a exception of perhaps a full moon traverse), but it did what it needed to do when I needed to hike at night.

I believe so. No label visible, but those are the specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

That's what I currently use. It's quoted at 1.9oz, used two AAA cells, has a max brightness of 100 lumens, and could usually be purchased for $15-$20. Unfortunately it's been discontinued and could be difficult to find.

Petzl E-lite.

hmmm... I have an Energizer with multiple settings and 3 batteries weighing in at 3.2oz. Guess I will keep this one for now.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

The Petzl eLite+ is another option.

I bought an NU25 when my last headlamp bit the dust. I like not having to account for batteries anymore, and can simply charge it up with my Anker if needed to, but haven't had the need to yet in the field. I did the strap mod using directions from a YouTube vidya and some extra z-line I had. Light as a feather.
    It is what it is.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I believe so. No label visible, but those are the specs.
    There were two models...
    The 1st one used two silver touch sensitive sensors on the front and came with a pair of lithium batteries.
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond.../dp/B00PUC8S48

The 2nd one used a single push button on the top and came with a pair of alkaline batteries.
    https://www.rei.com/product/107917/b...d-ion-headlamp

The easy way to tell the two apart is that both had a red LED, but the 1st one had both the white and red behind the same diffuser, the second one placed the red LED on the opposite side behind a second diffuser.

Images

Got my NU25 less than 24 hours after ordering it... yikes, Amazon delivery is scary..... Anyway, I'm already liking it, works great, I replaced the heavy strap with a much lighter one from an old headlamp, 1.2 ounces total weight, we'll see how it works long term.

Thanks Steve Buscemi for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    There were two models...
    The 1st one used two silver touch sensitive sensors on the front and came with a pair of lithium batteries.
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond.../dp/B00PUC8S48

The 2nd one used a single push button on the top and came with a pair of alkaline batteries.
    https://www.rei.com/product/107917/b...d-ion-headlamp

The easy way to tell the two apart is that both had a red LED, but the 1st one had both the white and red behind the same diffuser, the second one placed the red LED on the opposite side behind a second diffuser.
    The second one is mine. I am very happy with it. Presumably there is a current, similar model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++