WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Do you know Ms. Marra? What do you mean "someone that apparently hikes". Is that code for thru hiker? According to the ATC new release, Ms. Marra has hiked 1200 miles of the AT. She also is a trail maintainer.
    Earl Shaffer also HIKED the AT. But, he doesn't HIKE the AT anymore. So his understanding of today's trail issues from the comfort of his office, were he alive, would be concepts that are completely outdated. It's funny how everyone connected with the trail in any way is suddenly a hiker. Ever notice that? I'm glad Ms. Marra hiked and has done trail work. I still think Dixon's untimely termination was a complete waste. And yes I hike the AT and have done trail work. Just left the whites, it was epic!

Quote Originally Posted by robbym70 View Post
    Not sure where this fits but I've seen a bunch of posts advertising new jobs in marketing and outreach at the ATC. I'm guessing the new president sent the previous occupants packing, so to speak, and is bringing in a new set of people for those positions.
    I'll bet there is an employee exodus in the wake of Dixon's untimely departure. They brought in a fresh face that wanted change and she got "forced out" by the OLD guard, and talented folks with new good ideas of their own were rightly pissed when she either quit in disgust or was fired by clowns who fear change. Happens all the time. Would you rather work in a static or dynamic environment? Which do you think is more rewarding and exciting?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i always just thought their turnover was high......i dont think they pay very much, hence the turnover.....
    People will stay with rewarding and exciting careers they love at awesome orgs despite **** pay.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Strongly agree.
    But, have no position in this matter to contribute.

Take a deep breath and think......then post - my advice to you

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeye View Post
    Take a deep breath and think......then post - my advice to you
    Considering that's your 4th post in 9 years I'm guessing you do lots of thinking. But, what are your thoughts with regard to this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by crazylegs76 View Post
    Earl Shaffer also HIKED the AT. But, he doesn't HIKE the AT anymore. So his understanding of today's trail issues from the comfort of his office, were he alive, would be concepts that are completely outdated. It's funny how everyone connected with the trail in any way is suddenly a hiker. Ever notice that? I'm glad Ms. Marra hiked and has done trail work. I still think Dixon's untimely termination was a complete waste. And yes I hike the AT and have done trail work. Just left the whites, it was epic!
    I don't think Suzanne Dixon had done much hiking on the AT. Reading all your posts you sure have a lot of guessing, suppositions, and very few facts.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

So where do the proceeds of Darn Tough socks with the ATC logo on the ankle for a hundred bucks a pop at the ATC store go?
    Well, first off, I see that ATC logo Darn Tough socks range in price from $22.70 to $29.00 on the ATC website - http://www.atctrailstore.org/apparel/accessories/socks/ Not that outrageous if you factor in what Darn Tough socks cost without the logo.

That said, here's an overly simplified explanation of how merchandise sales from non-profits work: ATC buys the logo socks from Darn Tough (they manufacture them for ATC) for $X (cost of goods sold which is an expense). Then ATC sells the socks for $Y dollars (revenue). Eventually, during the accounting process, $Y - $X = $Z (income). $Z is income for ATC. The revenue from the socks is no different than a donation. Even if there is a purely cash donation, there are expenses associated with soliciting it, collecting, and disbursing it (management/operating expenses). In the case of when you buy a product from a non-profit, like ATC logo socks, it works very much like when you buy Girl Scout Cookies or buy a tee shirt from ASPCA or a DVD from PBS. You pay a price well above the market value for the product, and the organization makes revenue from that purchase that greatly exceeds it's costs for the item. But they don't make a profit, as there are no owners who benefit from the business activity, the money only serves the organization's societal purpose (program expenses). https://smallbusiness.chron.com/diff...fit-25352.html

The difference between non-profits and for-profits is that non-profits serve some public/society purpose (which you may or may not agree with) and have no owners (shareholders) and therefore money earned after expenses is ultimately spent on that societal purpose. A non-profit will generally have a Board of Directors, but most often they are unpaid (as are ATC's). They can and often do however hire professional employees like Dixon to run the operations, sometimes highly compensated ones. But as far as ATC is concerned, it is very highly rated by both Charity Navigator and BBB https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...ary&orgid=8239 http://www.give.org/charity-reviews/...-ferry-wv-2291

Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 08-30-2019 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I don't think Suzanne Dixon had done much hiking on the AT. Reading all your posts you sure have a lot of guessing, suppositions, and very few facts.
    I'm not sure I need to point out the somewhat hilarious contradiction you supply here beginning with a guess and then faulting someone else for making guesses, but this thread I started begins with a question mark. And if you follow it you'll see it begins a discussion where some conclusions and opinions are formed. Since I'm not writing a scholarly report guesses, suppositions, and very few facts are all an opinion-based chat requires. And it's been productive at arriving at some consensus conclusions, suppositious as they may be.

Of course, the 'transparent' and crowdfunded source of our suppositious conjecturing could set the record straight here and now, as if they owed us some small modicum of respectful explanation for our collective unwavering financial and fiduciary support, and to ally any concerns that might arise among us from the perception that they may lack stability at their upper echelon.

The bottom line is that no one posting here “knows”. “Consensus conclusions” are often wrong, and better called consensus opinions.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    The bottom line is that no one posting here “knows”. “Consensus conclusions” are often wrong, and better called consensus opinions.
    Good point.

I, for one, have a very incomplete picture of what the ATC is doing these days.

My wife and I removed them as a beneficiaries of our accounts a few years ago in favor of other organizations because of this. I suspect others have done the same.

The are are doing great things, I suppose — but I just don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Actually, that's not accurate. Someone that posts here on WB all the time definitely knows, but as usual their silence is deafening.

Actually, that's not accurate. Someone that posts here on WB all the time definitely knows, but as usual their silence is deafening.
    i should have been more specific. No one that has posted on this thread knows.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good point.

I, for one, have a very incomplete picture of what the ATC is doing these days.

My wife and I removed them as a beneficiaries of our accounts a few years ago in favor of other organizations because of this. I suspect others have done the same.

The are are doing great things, I suppose — but I just don’t get it.
    I'm fascinated by this. Do you mean that you had bequeathed your assets to the ATC in the event of your passing and then decided not to? If so, can you expand on why?

I'm fascinated by this. Do you mean that you had bequeathed your assets to the ATC in the event of your passing and then decided not to? If so, can you expand on why?
    Many people take out life insurance policies, set up trusts, or set aside amounts of money in a will for charities or groups they want to support after their death. Probably a foreign concept for some, but philanthropy is alive and well in the US. Ask most any college or university about how endowments work and the various ways they can be set up.

Perhaps that helps clear the mystery.

Images

People bequeath portions of their estates to various charities, endowments, etc. all the time. While alive they often change their minds as to which ones they support and want to leave assets to. Maybe they think the ATC isn't living up to its mission, or Sierra Club is doing work more in line with their concerns. Or maybe they do a complete about face and choose to support "Wise Use" movements and "Drill Baby, Drill".

Images

I know zero about Ms. Dixon. Perhaps she has a facebook account. As this really seems to be an obsession/issue with you, perhaps you could contact her directly and ask her your questions.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries
    Images

My wife and I don’t have any kids— so when the survivor dies anything left will be divided between several non-profits.

Since we met on the AT, the ATC was a natural candidate— or more correctly a special fund set up by the ATC called the Trust for Appalachian Lands which to my understanding no longer exists.

With that gone, and without a good understanding on the impact our bequest could have, we decided to refocus on other organizations— so of which actively encourage folks like us.

BTW, one does not need to have a Will (even though that is often a good idea) to leave something to worthy organizations. All you need to do is name them as a beneficiary (or a contingent/secondary beneficiary) on your investment accounts, IRA, etc. Super simple for people of any age — and no cost to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My wife and I don’t have any kids— so when the survivor dies anything left will be divided between several non-profits.

Since we met on the AT, the ATC was a natural candidate— or more correctly a special fund set up by the ATC called the Trust for Appalachian Lands which to my understanding no longer exists.

With that gone, and without a good understanding on the impact our bequest could have, we decided to refocus on other organizations— so of which actively encourage folks like us.

BTW, one does not need to have a Will (even though that is often a good idea) to leave something to worthy organizations. All you need to do is name them as a beneficiary (or a contingent/secondary beneficiary) on your investment accounts, IRA, etc. Super simple for people of any age — and no cost to do so.

these guys do great work and may be in line with your goals

http://matlt.org/

I'll bet there is an employee exodus in the wake of Dixon's untimely departure. They brought in a fresh face that wanted change and she got "forced out" by the OLD guard, and talented folks with new good ideas of their own were rightly pissed when she either quit in disgust or was fired by clowns who fear change. Happens all the time. Would you rather work in a static or dynamic environment? Which do you think is more rewarding and exciting?
    Outside of your opinion, how do you know this to be true????
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++