WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Have loved my BA Copper Spur UL2 as a one-person tent. Given that I use a large NeoAir for a sleeping pad, the UL2 is too small to use as a 2 man tent (would require both occupants to use "regular" side sleeping pads).
    I think this will be my next 2person tent. Been using the half dome 2+ for years nice but heavy, bulky. What's the difference between the copper spur and the tiger wall?

It takes time to become acquainted with sleeping in a one person tent if you are used to 2+ people tents. I have two kits, light weight using a Notch Li, and a medium weight for winter/ bad weather trips. In the Notch, I basically have enough room to switch positions on my pad and sit up. there's no sideways room. It took me about 10 or so trips using the notch for the smaller space not to bother me. I do not hang out in it, unless it's pouring, using it only for sleep. I do not cook in or near the tent, that's just asking for trouble at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Long ago I used to cook in my tent in winter. That's about mid-list of the stupidest things I have done.
    LOL. I like that one
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I cook in my tent in bad weather! Half my body is in the tent, the other half is hanging out. It works!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I think this will be my next 2person tent. Been using the half dome 2+ for years nice but heavy, bulky. What's the difference between the copper spur and the tiger wall?
    The primary design difference is that the Copper Spur is 100% free standing with the poles shaped like a pair of 'Y's attached at the legs.
    The Tiger Wall requires the corners (at the feet) to be staked out because the pole design is a single "Y" with a stretched leg.
    Otherwise, if you look at the specs, the Copper Spur is slightly larger in square footage (both inside and the vestibules).
    Naturally, the Tiger wall packs a little smaller and lighter.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    My BA Fly Creek 2 is big enough to hold all my gear ...
    When I did the JMT with my BS Copper Spur UL2, I was able to bring EVERYTHING (except the bear canister) into the tent at night.
    I had read reports that occasionally people would have their boot laces, hiking pole hand grips, of other gear attacked by critters, so I didn't want to leave anything outside. So I had my back pack, hiking poles, and all my gear in the tent. I used a sitting pad that I would turn "dirty" side up and sit the hiking boots on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The primary design difference is that the Copper Spur is 100% free standing with the poles shaped like a pair of 'Y's attached at the legs.
    The Tiger Wall requires the corners (at the feet) to be staked out because the pole design is a single "Y" with a stretched leg.
    Otherwise, if you look at the specs, the Copper Spur is slightly larger in square footage (both inside and the vestibules).
    Naturally, the Tiger wall packs a little smaller and lighter.
    Thank you, I really like the free standing so its a clear choice for me. I'll probably wait until tax time in the spring no hurry the old rei tents are holding up fine.

I'm a pryamid tent convert and into extreme multitasking. Gatewood Cape, Serenity NetTent, 1.5mil Polycryo Footprint, 6 Ti stakes all pack easily into a S2S XS 2.5L stuff stack and weighs 25oz - that's about 60% the bulk and weight of my equiv. BA FC UL2 for ~same total floor area.

Mids are modular, so while I like sleeping inside the bathtub floored inner tent (creepy crawly fears while obliviously asleep), I usually collapse it into a corner (3clips, 20sec) while awake for more interior room, not having to zip though doors, and able to leave my shoes on 'inside'. If it's not too windy, I can also raise the pitch height to create more interior room. The fly alone is amazingly effective against flying bugs playing against their own instincts (to avoid enclosed entrapments, and to seek escape out the large 'skylight' when they feel trapped).

With the inner solo tent collapsed, I can fold the footprint to size to create a giant floorless vestibule to cook in, use my camp chair (Litesmith Qwikback), and have a 2 person sized interior to move around, change clothes, fiddle with gear. In nasty weather, I pre-dig a indoor latrine in the unused corner opposite the door (pee while lying on side, then layer dirt on top) which also works for those middle of the night pees (drop inner tent with 1 peak clip), and in the morning if it's still pouring, I can make breakfast, pack everything up, and even take my morning #2 dump** in another cathole, all while inside under the protection of the fly. ** note: last step before moving on, and wild camping only - not at an establish campsites.

FWIW, I can even use the fly as sit-down shower stall in chilly weather (to block windchill and in direct sunlight, to add 'greenhouse' warmth). It's also a rain poncho and, for me, a critical winter daytrip EDC as a: full/3qtr 'bothy bag', Palmer furnace, and emergency puffy mid-layer.

So if necessary, I can do everything I need from inside my tent. As far as killing time while stuck inside a tent (due to rain/cold/wind/bugs/long nights/stealth camping) - it's basically sitting cross-legged on a pad to do things with my hands (cook, fiddle w/gear, play mini card/dice games), or sit in chair/lie on pad to relax and play with my smartphone (listen to music, watch a movie, read ebooks, surf assuming reception, etc).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++