WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Virginia Blueridge Mtn Rd, VA 601 ?

Hi,

There is a short trail on VA 601, almost opposite Ashley Woods labeled "Appalachian Trail" on google maps. It starts on VA 601 and ends on it, a loop. It doesn't seem to be part of the main trail (which runs on the other side of VA 601). I am interested in hiking this but am wondering if it is part of the trail or someone's private property? Has anyone hiked this trail?

Thank-you.

Can you provide a bit more information ... like the coordinates. I traced all the way along the VA 601 that I'm familiar with on Google Maps, and couldn't find what you are referring to. However, I wouldn't describe it as close to the "main trail". I'm a bit familiar with parts of the Old Appalachian Trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway ... but it isn't near the current AT either. And the only place in VA that my google map search finds an Ashley Woods is in northern VA. So .... if you could provide a bit more information it would be helpful.

Turtyl

Quote Originally Posted by trail quest View Post
    Hi,

There is a short trail on VA 601, almost opposite Ashley Woods labeled "Appalachian Trail" on google maps. It starts on VA 601 and ends on it, a loop. It doesn't seem to be part of the main trail (which runs on the other side of VA 601). I am interested in hiking this but am wondering if it is part of the trail or someone's private property? Has anyone hiked this trail?

Thank-you.

It's possible it was part of the AT at one time, or it could just be a misplaced label. Google can pick up data from old maps which haven't been updated in some time.

Hiking trails in my town are on the town map road, so they ended up in the GPS data base. I asked for directions from my house to someplace and google tried to have me leave town by driving up a hiking trail!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Not Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Can you provide a bit more information ... like the coordinates. I traced all the way along the VA 601 that I'm familiar with on Google Maps, and couldn't find what you are referring to. However, I wouldn't describe it as close to the "main trail". I'm a bit familiar with parts of the Old Appalachian Trail along the Blue Ridge Parkway ... but it isn't near the current AT either. And the only place in VA that my google map search finds an Ashley Woods is in northern VA. So .... if you could provide a bit more information it would be helpful.

Turtyl
    Hi,

Coordinates are 39.076125, -77.882197 .

It is not the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It is near Ashley Woods in N. VA....close to Mt. Weather. The Bear's Den is about 5 miles away from it on VA 601. The AT runs behind my house and I see on google maps that the trail is marked with broken green lines. The place I am referring to looks like a road labelled "Appalachian Trail" and it is almost opposite Ashley Woods. I drove past it yesterday and I could see what could have been a trail, however, it could have been someone's property and people around here don't take kindly to strangers on their property....I'd be scared of getting shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's possible it was part of the AT at one time, or it could just be a misplaced label. Google can pick up data from old maps which haven't been updated in some time.

Hiking trails in my town are on the town map road, so they ended up in the GPS data base. I asked for directions from my house to someplace and google tried to have me leave town by driving up a hiking trail!
    No, I don't trust google either! I see the main trail on google is clearly a trail but this looks like a rd marked "Appalachian Trail"....I don't trust it!

It is near Ashley Woods in N. VA....close to Mt. Weather. The Bear's Den is about 5 miles away from it on VA 601. The AT runs behind my house and I see on google maps that the trail is marked with broken green lines. The place I am referring to looks like a road labelled "Appalachian Trail" and it is almost opposite Ashley Woods. I drove past it yesterday and I could see what could have been a trail, however, it could have been someone's property and people around here don't take kindly to strangers on their property....I'd be scared of getting shot!
    If you look at old topo maps from the 1940s to the 1980s, the AT in that area is shown as routed generally along the Clarke / Loudon county border, including some road walking on 601. (I don't know when the current route was established.)

If you right-click on the road in question, one of the options is to 'report a data error.' I'd encourage you to report the error, and include the correct road names, etc. I have reported quite a few errors over the years, and most are corrected within 24 hours.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

This "trail" doesn't really exist... not any more at least.

If you look at the satellite view, you can see where parts of it still exist today as a private drive way or utilities access road.

But most of it simply doesn't exist anymore. It's just overgrown woodlands or just a grassy field (with no sighs of a trail thru it) on what appears as private property.

If you look at the southern terminus in street view, you can see a gravel road with and a sign on a tree on the left side that starts "POSTED" (and I'm pretty sure the fine print under "POSTED" says something about private property).

Thanks for the update ... we have Hwy 601 in our part of VA too ....

I suspect that as someone suggested it used to be part of the AT ... we have a road near here that is called "Old Appalachian Trail Road". I know for a fact that it used to be part of the AT in the late 20's early 30's, before the AT was relocated to make a big loop towards W.Va and back north of Roanoke. It SOUNDS like the "road name" on the map is a hint at the history of the area.

Based on your drive by, it doesn't sound like it will present a hiking opportunity.

Hi,

It is not the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It is near Ashley Woods in N. VA....close to Mt. Weather. The Bear's Den is about 5 miles away from it on VA 601. The AT runs behind my house and I see on google maps that the trail is marked with broken green lines. The place I am referring to looks like a road labelled "Appalachian Trail" and it is almost opposite Ashley Woods. I drove past it yesterday and I could see what could have been a trail, however, it could have been someone's property and people around here don't take kindly to strangers on their property....I'd be scared of getting shot!

One time on Google Maps a few years ago, the AT was showing up as S River Fire Road.

It eventually got corrected. But no idea why it happened except a glitch. Lasted for a few weeks.

I assume it’s a technical glitch where a line gets labeled and a line touching it is also labeled when it should not be.

This is at Hog Camp Gap in VA where we were going hiking that weekend (mi 814.8 when we hiked up to Seeley Woodworth Shelter) which is why I was checking google maps.

++ New Posts ++