Default Skincare Routine on the AT

So, I have super sensitive skin. Very prone to breakouts, and over the last few years I've created the perfect routine. However, it is HEAVY. I've got like 5 products I HAVE to take with me. I can't abandon my skin when it needs me the most. It can barely stand day to day stuff, let alone constant hiking. How can I keep this system light? What are you taking, if anything? Also open to new product suggestions. I have time to figure out a lighter routine if need be, and I'm curious to see what you guys use ;)

Journal Entries

Have you tested your "perfect routine" on the trail? Do you know how it holds up to constant sweat, sun, humidity, etc?
    If you truly do need these products, you might consider repackaging into small refillable containers, and sending the larger containers ahead in a bounce box (box of supplies mailed to yourself repeatedly as you move along the trail).
    I don't take any skincare products unless you count bug spray, Neosporin, and band-aids. I sweat a lot, I burn easily, and I'll probably have skin cancer one day. About all I do is rinse my face with my hands when we cross a creek. I'm "just" a section hiker, so I'm not out there more than 7-10 days at a time, and have time for my skin to recover before I go out again. If you're doing a thru, your situation is different.

Just a thought...I’ve read reports from many hikers that after a few weeks of hiking and not using skin products, their faces were better than they’d ever been. Some hikers experience an initial outbreak early in their hike then their faces clear up and remain clear.

This would be a full blown miracle for my skin. I'm going to thru hike the OHT to test run my gear before the AT, Ill go product free for that and see how it pans out. Thank you!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMeerkat View Post
    So, I have super sensitive skin. Very prone to breakouts, and over the last few years I've created the perfect routine. However, it is HEAVY. I've got like 5 products I HAVE to take with me. I can't abandon my skin when it needs me the most. It can barely stand day to day stuff, let alone constant hiking. How can I keep this system light? What are you taking, if anything? Also open to new product suggestions. I have time to figure out a lighter routine if need be, and I'm curious to see what you guys use
    Definitely see if you can repackage. I know a lot of stuff comes in super heavy glass jars. If you can find one of those tiny lunch box containers with the different sections maybe you could put a dollop of each cream in the compartments or at least put them into tiny Tupperware. My skin is a major concern for me when I go out on the trail. My plan is to take a bottle of witch hazel solution to wash my face and soak up any oils. Other than that, I am just going to hope for the best.

++ New Posts ++