WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kephart Prong Trailhead overnight parking

Thinking of starting an overnight backpack from Kephart Prong trailhead or possibly Kanati Fork trailhead. I usually park in the campgrounds, but was wondering how safe trailhead parking was in this area along Newfound Gap Road.

Thanks, Squeeze
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

With only a few known exceptions (such as Davenport Gap), over-night parking at GSMNP trailheads are relatively safe... especially some place highly visible along New Found Gap road.

I've heard that some break-ins do occur in GSMNP, so what local guides have told me is to just make sure there is NOTHING visible inside your car (valuable or not).

But in 20+ years and over 100 trips to GSMNP, I've never experienced a break-in... and Kephart Prong Trailhead is one of the many places I've parked overnight in GSMNP.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    With only a few known exceptions (such as Davenport Gap), over-night parking at GSMNP trailheads are relatively safe... especially some place highly visible along New Found Gap road.

I've heard that some break-ins do occur in GSMNP, so what local guides have told me is to just make sure there is NOTHING visible inside your car (valuable or not).

But in 20+ years and over 100 trips to GSMNP, I've never experienced a break-in... and Kephart Prong Trailhead is one of the many places I've parked overnight in GSMNP.
    Thanks for the info!
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

++ New Posts ++