WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommend a lightweight kit

I'm in the early stages of planning a trek on Baffin Island, Canada, once we are through all the pandemic shutdowns.
    I'm 61 years old and my knees are not what the used to be, so I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight pack, bag and tent for a 8-9 day unsupported trek. Need to carry all the food for that time. I'm a photographer, so I will be bringing a camera kit with tripod along. I need to trim weight to keep it manageable. Temperatures will be 30's/50's F night/day. My early look at gear show the Hyperlite 4400 or 5400 packs might be a good choice, MSR Access tent for windy conditions and possible snow. Any thoughts on other options, and recommended sleeping bags for 20's or teens to be safe. I'll be looking for this gear used if I can find it.

You have not mentioned a budget so I will respond as if you dont have one.
    Zpacks.com
    tarptent.com
    HMG.com
    westernmountaineering.com
    Hilleberg.com

These companies are light, pricey, and dependable.
    You will need a pack on the larger side, I would strongly look at the Arc Haul by zpacks

With that extra gear you will want extra tent space. So I would be looking for a tent on the larger side....3 person to have plenty of room, 2 person to squeeze in.

You can cut weight in specific areas like cooking. You could consider going stoveless OR look at using a zelph cat food can type stove. Have used one of those for years now and loved it prior to going stoveless.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    You have not mentioned a budget so I will respond as if you dont have one.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I do have a budget, am hoping to keep it at about $1000 for pack, tent and bag and other gear, such as cook pots, and will try to get some or all of the gear used if I can find it.
    I need to find out what fuel will be available in Nunavut when I arrive, that will determine what kind of stove I can bring.

I have an HMG 4400 in black, tall torso and the belt goes from 38 maybe 40 and down. So I guess it is a Large hip belt. The bottom is scuffed up is the only damage I recall. Fro taking rest stops while wearing the pack.
    I have a solo Zpacks tent. I cant recall what they called it. Zpacks stuff confuses me with the plexiglass series of names. It is a solo size. It weighs a tad over a pound. It is the solo model that has the storm doors on it. It's a one person tent but you can get things in the vestibule. It has been carried more than set. I'm keeping the bathtub floor so you would need a ground sheet or another floor. It has a mesh floor sewn in. I only tarp or tent if I have to so it isn't worn out at all even thought its 8? years old? The pack I did a 1000 mile trip on and some work up trips. I switched to a Granite gear pack. I have too many packs and tents. I could do you a package deal price on those two items for $550 shipped. Tents and packs I have too many of. Also I have a hardly used Kelty winter tent. It can pitch without the inner tent to save weight and is good in snow and wind. I'd take $140 for that. You thinking synthetics or down in a bag choice? I can get you to 25° conservatively in either choice.

Thanks Two Tents, PM sent to you about the gear you have.

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    Thanks Two Tents, PM sent to you about the gear you have.
    I replied back. Measure what you need as you research. Any questions I can answer just ask.

Here are some items to consider:

ULA Catalyst Pack
    Sea To Summit Etherlite Insulated Pad
    Western Mountaineering Alpinlite sleeping bag
    Black Diamond Firstlight 3person tent

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    Here are some items to consider:
    Black Diamond Firstlight 3person tent
    Have you used the Firstlight? I've always been a little wary of them based on condensation concerns and rumored inadequate waterproofness. Curious to hear your feedback. After seeing a friend's tent soak through in a surprise rainstorm on Mount Washington last March, it's hard to dismiss that concern from my the back of my mind.

Garlic
    Images

The Marmot Helium bag may be found for a good sale price occasionally. It's not the highest end bag, but well made for the price. I've always had good service from Tarptent shelters, and don't think they're overpriced for what you get.

The pack you list looks sturdy enough for the extra weight of the camera gear and food.

Your most substantial weight savings on a trip like that may come from successful food management. Most tend to overpack food, preferring to have an extra day "just in case." You can loose pounds of weight for better than free if you can accept the low risk of a little hunger. Other consumables, like water and stove fuel, are similarly over-packed most of the time.

I've pitched a Black Diamond Firstlight but never slept in one. The NSF uses them in their survival kits in Antarctica and we set them up during training. The are a b*tch to pitch, at least the first time with the internal pole system, it must get easier with practice. They are tight as a drum and look bulletproof when pitched, but a tent that leaks in the rain is a no go for me.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

To be clear, it wasn't a Firstlight that I saw leak firsthand. That was actually a Mountain Hardwear EV3. I was using an EV2 right next to it with no such issues (minor condensation, but that's inevitable in a single wall tent, particularly with outside humidity). Both of us had bought our EV's used from different sources. His had apparently spent a fair amount of time pitched on Denali, so maybe UV degradation did it in?

Hunt around on ebay, setup saved searches on there customizing for exactly what your looking for and when it gets listed for sale by someone you can get an email notification
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I agree! but you better be ready to hit the buy it now button! especially around this site... good deals go very fast..

as far as gear, gosh... that's like asking what is the best car I can buy. There are som many "cottage makers" now a days, I LOVE IT! You don't need to set foot into ***insert favorite (sometime overpriced)outdoor store***. I would start googling around. All the cottage makers Ive felt with have been AWESOME! I am willing to bet you can find some in your home state that way you can support local Buisness. Other than that, they all typically use the same materials, You just have to pick the one that has the style you like I suppose, and maybe that best jive with your personality.

Ill throw out my few favorites,
    Gossamer Gear
    LightHeart Gear
    Hilltop Packs
    Sea To Summit
    UGQ
    Altra (footwear)

There are honestly so many...

Some seem more responsive to emails than others too. That could be helpful for if you have a gear failure.

Thanks all for the suggestions. There are a lot of cottage industry sites popping up, which is great. But always good to check in here to see what has worked well for others first.
    I like the HMG packs because they are waterproof, or nearly so, and when carrying expensive camera gear that is important.

Yes, Dyneema fabric is inherently very water resestant. Some will say waterproof, but ive heard it can still wet through. I don't think I would SOLELY relay on it to keep your stuff dry. ESPECIALLY camera gear. XPAC fabric would be another good option too. With any bag I would certainly use a liner

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Have you used the Firstlight? I've always been a little wary of them based on condensation concerns and rumored inadequate waterproofness. Curious to hear your feedback. After seeing a friend's tent soak through in a surprise rainstorm on Mount Washington last March, it's hard to dismiss that concern from my the back of my mind.
    I've had a 2P Firstlight since around 2006. I've not had many issues with condensation even when sleeping with 2 adults inside. It's seen some crazy storms in the Sierra as well as dozens of canoe trips throughout the Northeast where rain wasn't a stranger. After 60+/- nights I needed to spray the tent with a silicone DWR spray.

The internal pole setup is a bit odd but gets much easier with a bit of practice.

It's been a solid tent for me.

++ New Posts ++