WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Hikes View Post
    Twisted, Curious to know what brand-model 65L pack you use and whether you orient your BV vertically or horizontally, and is it just above your sleeping bag/quilt/spares clothes? I'm currently using a GG Crown 2. I'm thinking it will allow the BV to be packed horizontally. But that's TBD.
    Very inexpensive pack, it's The North Face Terra 65 litter. The pack is a little heavy compared to some of the pack choices but it suits my needs. Sleeping bag goes in the bottom compartment, then the tent goes in the main compartment oriented horizontally and my sleeping bag liner gets stuffed in between the tent and back of the pack. This creates a flat floor in the bottom of the main compartment and the BV 500 goes in vertically. This leaves two long cylinders of space down each side of the canister. Inflatable sleep pad on one side, stuff sack of clothes on the other. Rain gear in the top/lid compartment. I haven't done a long/thru hike yet but I've done some two night trips close to home to shake down for my 2020 AT thru and so far I'm happy with this set up. I have to take the bear canister out to get to my tent but it makes a nice table/chair while I'm setting up camp.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Twisted, Curious to know what brand-model 65L pack you use and whether you orient your BV vertically or horizontally, and is it just above your sleeping bag/quilt/spares clothes? I'm currently using a GG Crown 2. I'm thinking it will allow the BV to be packed horizontally. But that's TBD.
    When I did the JMT, I got an Osprey Volt 75, placed my sleeping bag and cloths in the bottom, the bear canister standing up, and everything else fit around the bear canister.

Completed my second trial hike with full kit including that BV500 w/3 days food, as well as a toiletries bag and cook pot w/stove and fuel. First hike was a section of the MST in NC. For that, I fastened the BV atop my pack (GG Crown 2) under the brain, which secured it fine. Carried a bit top heavy, though. It was bearable, no pun intended.

Today I completed the second trial hike, a shorter route, this time on the AT, an out-and-back from Carvers Gap NOBO over Round Bald, Jane Bald, to Grassy Ridge. Same full-kit w/3-day food load (30 lbs). But this second time I managed to fit the BV horizontally inside the pack, just above my quilt and clothes dry sack, with my tent and sleep pad above the BV. Tight as a tick, but much better result, with that BV in a lower spot. Carried very nicely.

I have the BV 450. I really wanted to like it, but I can't. (A) I have knee problems, and i cannot afford the extra weight. (B) it feels awkward in my pack, no matter how I place it. (C) there's no guarantee it will be where you placed it when you come to retrieve it in the morning. I decided to go with the Almighty Ursack instead. Personally, I'm more concerned about mice and other critters than bears. My advice to you is see if you can rent instead of buying. There's actually a thread now running about this issue of renting gear vs buying.

I bought a 450 and used it along the section of the JMT this summer. Was able to fit 5 days of food and my toiletries. Of course it was bursting at the seams with nutrition. I will never bear hang a food bag again knowing how easy the BV is. The main benefit of the 500 is of course space, and it’s not that much heavier than the 450. I’ve never needed one but glad the 450 worked. It’ll do well for shorter weekend hikes with my kids, too!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I have the BV 450. I really wanted to like it, but I can't. (A) I have knee problems, and i cannot afford the extra weight. (B) it feels awkward in my pack, no matter how I place it. (C) there's no guarantee it will be where you placed it when you come to retrieve it in the morning. I decided to go with the Almighty Ursack instead. Personally, I'm more concerned about mice and other critters than bears. My advice to you is see if you can rent instead of buying. There's actually a thread now running about this issue of renting gear vs buying.
    I already own the BV500. Was just posting a follow up per my OP re: which size can to choose, with the completion of my first two trial hikes, using the can in different positions.

I did consider the Ursack Allmitey but decided against it, for the fact it can be chomped and slobbered and, yes, hauled off. And it was not "approved" for certain environs.

I get the pros and cons of the canister vs bags. Still, the ATC is urging hikers to adopt the canister, with the increase in bear-human interactions and with the fact that bears are adapting and figuring out how to get at hanging bags. With that, cans do help protect bears.

I'm ok with the weight of the 500, especially since I won't have to mess with bag hangs and retrieval, and in not so ideal weather or lighting.

I just wish GG was more thoughtful in its design, so as to allow a can to be carried internally and horizontally. In the case of the Crown 2, just one-inch more width would have made for perfection. As is, it's a seam-stretcher.

Since you are attempting the AT, why are you using a bear canister at all?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Because... there are many black bears on the AT.

Seriously, I think you can piece it together by reading the earlier posts. But, in short, a can very effectively protects the contents from bears and little critters. A can is easy to manage; wedge it 100 ft from tent. No hanging challenges. The weight penalty, for me, is acceptable. And it helps prevent bears from getting hiker food and scented products, and so helps protect them from having to be relocated or destroyed. The ATC approves.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Drifting a bit, but I have both sizes, and really would like a BV475!

So far, so good with the BV-500, with three shakedown hikes completed. Also looks like my timing was right. These BVs could be in great demand, very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Drifting a bit, but I have both sizes, and really would like a BV475!
    Wild Ideas will make any length bear canister one likes. Of course one pays for this. My feeling is, if it's something I will use and/or makes me happy, then the premium price is worth it to me. Everyone makes their own decision on that.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    While bear canisters are generally not "required" on the AT, they still have lots of benefits:
    1. Saves time compared to trying to hang your food.
    2. Keeps you from considering the questionable (and in some places, illegal) practice of sleeping with your food.
    3. Protects your food from not only bears but also mice
    (in GSMNP, each campsite has bear cables to protect your food from bears, but mice can climb the cables, and flying squires can... well... fly to it and nibble thru stuff sacks).

Thank you for the video! I nominate you for "Post of the Year"!

Completed my second trial hike with full kit including that BV500 w/3 days food, as well as a toiletries bag and cook pot w/stove and fuel. First hike was a section of the MST in NC. For that, I fastened the BV atop my pack (GG Crown 2) under the brain, which secured it fine. Carried a bit top heavy, though. It was bearable, no pun intended.
    Today I completed the second trial hike, a shorter route, this time on the AT, an out-and-back from Carvers Gap NOBO over Round Bald, Jane Bald, to Grassy Ridge. Same full-kit w/3-day food load (30 lbs). But this second time I managed to fit the BV horizontally inside the pack, just above my quilt and clothes dry sack, with my tent and sleep pad above the BV. Tight as a tick, but much better result, with that BV in a lower spot. Carried very nicely.
    Good stuff. I applaud you for taking the rising bear concerns seriously and hauling a couple extra lbs. On hikes and canoe trips near where I live, almost everyone hangs properly, and it is no doubt a hassle but necessary. The first time I did a hike on the AT a decade ago I couldn't believe that everyone was just putting their stuff on a hook in the shelter or hanging ridiculously, such as 7 ft off the ground. I just went along with that at the time.... since 8 food bags in a shelter will probably be similar to 9!

Have witnessed personally several incidents on the AT, and it's not just one or two areas. Bunch of people in my shelter in VA lost all their food with a "pretty good" bear hang (problem bear, caused lambert meadows to be temp. closed the next day). They added a bear box.
    Have had many other bear encounters (along with bear calls in the night) in areas where people's stuff is just not bear-proof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++