WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Carnation Essential

Has anyone used this-if so can you use water instead of milk

Pickle you're posting a lot of redundant questions. Please use the search function. You will likely discover 20 threads on carnation instant breakfast as it is wildly popular with hikers.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

yes & yes

u.w. / willin'

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Pickle you're posting a lot of redundant questions. Please use the search function. You will likely discover 20 threads on carnation instant breakfast as it is wildly popular with hikers.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    A large number of questions posted are redundant, and that is because it is difficult to find the info you want using the search function on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    A large number of questions posted are redundant, and that is because it is difficult to find the info you want using the search function on this forum.
    Try using google instead. I searched "Carnation whiteblaze.net" using google and was linked directly to a bunch of threads on this site.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ask all the questions you want. Nobody has to answer if they don't want to.

Regarding the search feature, it seems different depending on which app you are going thru to access White Blaze. I know of two apps: Tap-a-Talk and the Whiteblaze app. I haven't figured out how to search in Tap-aTalk. I can search in the White Blaze app. But Google has the most robust search ability. I think you put the forum name in single quotes followed by the search string. If I'm wrong about the format, please chime in. I would also be interested in knowing which app yall prefer to use to access Whie Blaze on your phone. Forum runner was mentioned in another thread, but it is not available in the Google Play Store.

Yes.
    Yes.
    With a twist.
    Dry measures according to the package directions. I buy in bulk.
    I serving Carnation Essentials
    1 serving Nido Whole Milk
    1 serving Pea Protein
    1 serving Cafe Bustelo Instant Coffee OPTIONAL.
    DRY ingredients in 1 ziplock snack bag.
    2 snack bags and two single serving instant coffees in a ziplock Pint Freezer Bag.
    8 ounces hot or cold water as my mood suggests.
    Wayne

Sorry for posting something I couldn't find won't post anymore questions-will just read other hikers questions from now on.?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Ask all the questions you want. Nobody has to answer if they don't want to.
    What he said.

Or she sorry don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle View Post
    Sorry for posting something I couldn't find won't post anymore questions-will just read other hikers questions from now on.?
    Post all you want, and ignore the comments that aren’t helpful.

Maybe it's me but this forum has slowed down in the last couple years, I would think any post would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Maybe it's me but this forum has slowed down in the last couple years, I would think any post would be good.
    Slowed down? That's an understatement. Been a member for well over 10 years and lurked for a while before that. This site has become a ghost town. Seems counter productive to encourage folks NOT to post questions...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Slowed down? That's an understatement. Been a member for well over 10 years and lurked for a while before that. This site has become a ghost town. Seems counter productive to encourage folks NOT to post questions...
    Facebook

Several years ago, Whiteblaze seemed to be THE place on the internet to go to ask hiking related questions.

The only competition seemed to be Yahoo groups, and they sucked (difficult to use, too email-intrusive).

But today, lots of people already know how to use Facebook. So learning to use a Facebook 'group' is a no-brainer compared to the complexity of Yahoo groups.

So today, I'm seeing the questions that used to get repeated here in WB getting repeated in the targeted groups on Facebook.

I think I have posted up my instant Breakfast concoction several times. Even got a few thanks.
    I hope I helped a little.
    BTW. One of those snack bags in the morning keeps me going until noon. And a lot of protein!
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

Folks are trying to be helpful. Dont let it bother you Pickle. I've done like you've done and have as others have.

Yeah you can use H20 in the Carnation Essential but it does cut down on the cal/oz and overall nutrition. It does taste and texturize 'watered down' with skim/no fat milk or water. When using it in the past with water rather than milk my perception was that it was harder to integrate the dry mix into liquid particularly with coldish water. Maybe use warmed water?
    Last edited by Dogwood; 08-12-2019 at 16:06.

Images

Has anyone used this-if so can you use water instead of milk
    I've liked this stuff since the old days when it was called "Instant Breakfast." And as others do, I add Nido, which is whole milk.

Been here since 2003. Duplicate threads are common and always have been. Search function barely helps ... but is sure better than Facebook's!!!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    When people,especially new people,get flamed for asking a simple question or making a benign comment is there really any wonder? WB is a mere shadow of it's former self.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    When people,especially new people,get flamed for asking a simple question or making a benign comment is there really any wonder? WB is a mere shadow of it's former self.
    Exactly correct.

On a slight tangent, when I worked in the ICU, some of our patients were gastric bypass and short bowel sufferers. A couple Gastrointestinal specialty Docs routinely prescribed carnation instant breakfast with whole or skim milk, or goat milk depending on caloric needs and allergies. They felt this stuff with added real milk was nutritionally equal or superior to the canned “Ensure” type products, and their many formulated relatives made by pharma companies. It was also pennies rather than dollars for the patients when they went home, greatly increasing the possibility of nutritional compliance, and ultimate healing.

Im sure the recipe has chanced somewhat, but this product is still among the better choices for nutrition commonly available.

I like a packet of French vanilla with 1/4 cup Nido, 1tsp of instant coffee. Shake till smooth. I keep this concoction in the car, in a baggie in the clean shaker bottle. Stop for some ice water at the gas station. much better than Micki D’s in a pinch, and the local Starbucks (my occasional splurge) has become very spotty in quality. This would work great on trail.

Happy hiking. There will always be trolls, most turn out to be great people who are having an off moment, a few really do belong under a bridge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++