WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yep works well with coffee no milk needed....vanilla works well as a milk substitute for granola etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I think I have posted up my instant Breakfast concoction several times. Even got a few thanks.
    I hope I helped a little.
    BTW. One of those snack bags in the morning keeps me going until noon. And a lot of protein!
    All the best to you!
    Wayne
    I was one of those "few thanks" I think. I'll even say, Thanks again.

I've modified the initial info to suit my own needs/wants/likes over the miles of course (protein powder, chia seeds, wheat or corn flour, cinnamon, matcha, nido, etc...).

u.w. / willin'

Yup. We just put it in our coffee. Cheap calories, and good in the coffee. Gives you wicked gas though...

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    On a slight tangent, when I worked in the ICU, some of our patients were gastric bypass and short bowel sufferers. A couple Gastrointestinal specialty Docs routinely prescribed carnation instant breakfast with whole or skim milk, or goat milk depending on caloric needs and allergies. They felt this stuff with added real milk was nutritionally equal or superior to the canned “Ensure” type products, and their many formulated relatives made by pharma companies. It was also pennies rather than dollars for the patients when they went home, greatly increasing the possibility of nutritional compliance, and ultimate healing.

Western trained M.D.'s nutritional education is substandard based on research reports coming from the health care and medical education industries themselves. Part of the responsibility for much contradictory dietary confusion goes to the medical industry itself who rarely comes to a dietary consensus.

More like SAD nutritional habituation as usual consuming a high sugar diet. YES, sugar is cheap in the U.S. so are many GM corn, soy, canola(rapeseed) and cow's milk derived products...because the taxpayer subsidizes these commodities to drive the cost down NOT only for the consumer but for the economy(financial profit) by sellers of these products. Look at the ingredient list from top down(most occurring ingredients) in Ensure as well. Adding some vitamin fortification to processed food/engineered foods that may have had some of those nutrients removed through processing is common in the "food science/food engineering" industry.
    Im sure the recipe has chanced somewhat, but this product is still among the better choices for nutrition commonly available.

I will take exception. This is a similar approach to suggesting and indoctrinating the impoverished uneducated public McDonalds is a better financial choice for nutrition.

Last edited by Dogwood; 08-13-2019 at 16:54.

This is why I no longer consume this stuff and open minded outside of the box forward thinking professional Nutritionists are offering food alternatives. There are better nutritional alternatives whether off or on trail...if we soberly take back our right to decide what we consume.
    https://www.madewithnestle.ca/carnation-breakfast-essentials/carnation-breakfast-essentials-powder-drink-mix-vanilla-0

Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix - Vanilla Ingredients

Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix - Vanilla (dry mix)

Skim milk powder

, sugar - sugar

, corn maltodextrin - a sweetener

, oligofructose / inulin (prebio¹ - another sweetener

) ,lactose - milk sugar, another sweetener

, artificial flavour - ?

, cellulose gum

, vitamins and minerals (vitamin a palmitate

, ascorbic acid

, thiamine mononitrate

, riboflavin

, niacinamide

, ferric orthophosphate

) . Contains milk.May contain soy and wheat

Typical! Marketing of nutrition in the food industry hypes the potential good nutritional aspects ignoring the dismal nutritional aspects of highly processed food like substances which make the overall nutritional quality of the product quite dismal even highly health problematic.

Look at what this is nutritionally in the vanilla version. 150 calories in a serving with 80 of those calories(20 g) from sugar. This is a 53% by caloric content sugar drink not a protein or calcium or vitamin drink. No wonder why so many addicted to high sugar intake such as those on the Standard American Diet(SAD) like it and those accustomed to roller coasting sugar energy highs bonk. It's starting your day with a sugary processed food like engineered substance similar to what the food industry offers in high sugar content highly processed b'fast cereals marketed to children to addict this young consumer group to an industry's economic approach to nutrition. Are you as an adult also being treated as a child by the food industry?

Nutritionists and Psychologists have rightly placed sugar along side other drug addictions. Sugar could be considered as a drug to which one becomes habituated regularly craving, psychologically(neuro-chemical) and physically addicting implicated in the development of many diseases and health issues. Behavioral studies have demonstrated people addicted to sugar go though withdrawals when not receiving their high sugar intake.

And, bringing it full circle applied to hiking, if concerned about food wt, cal/oz, overall nutritional needs, maintaining an energy baseline, and daily caloric needs as a backpacker ask yourself food soberly - if this is possible - "is this option the best to be habitually consuming on a backpacking trip for energy and overall nutritional needs; is this substance truly a nutritional powerhouse as marketed?"
    Last edited by Dogwood; 08-13-2019 at 17:08.

Dogwood.... please don’t look in my food bag!

I can't imagine hiking all morning on Instant Breakfast when a package of oatmeal weighs about the same. Personally, I like something that fills my stomach for more than ten seconds. But to each his own, I guess.

By the way, half&half packets improve the taste of oatmeal as much as they do coffee. I guess they'd work with instant breakfast, too. I carry them in my coffee mug so they don't get crushed.

Carnation Instant Breakfast: 36 grams and 130 calories.
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal Maple & Brown Sugar: 43 Grams and 157 calories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++