WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Georgia in the fall

I live near Atlanta and my Sons fall break in early October allows for a five day trip. I wanted to start at Springer and do around 60 miles of the AT. The eventual goal is to complete the trail through Georgia.

I've read that water can be harder to find in the fall as some springs dry up. Is this a valid concern for those that have done this stretch before?

Yes, water can get scarce in the fall. However, most shelters have reliable water sources throughout the year. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just be prepared to carry a little more than usual in case the next source is dry. I usually have 2 liters with my bottles, and 2 extra liters in my water bag, so I can carry more if needed.

Two tricks: use the Guthook app and look at the comments on the water sources. A lot of times there will be messages about a source being dry with a date it was posted. You can use this to check ahead and plan your water sources with a little more confidence. However, do not totally rely on that, as not every water source may have a message. The app costs about $9 per section, and does not need cell service to work. You just download the section the day before you leave to get the most up to date info. Second, if a source is dry, use a rock or a stick (NOT your poo trowel!) to dig down a little and you will often find some water that way. It will take longer, but if you really needed water, this may work.

Thanks! I have the guthook app but haven't paid for the first section yet. I will definitely get that done before I go.

You can use the spring below the Springer Shelter as your guide. If you need to dig out a little to get a pool of water there, you'll need to make sure you leave each water source with a couple of full bottles. The section from Hawk Mountain to Justus Creek can get a little dry. There is good information on this map:
    https://caltopo.com/m/C02E

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    ... Two tricks: use the Guthook app and look at the comments on the water sources. A lot of times there will be messages about a source being dry with a date it was posted. ....
    no more registers at the shelters? these used to be the most accurate info you could get. and it did work perfectly in the 80´and 90´. we always knew if a spring was dry a day ahead.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Images

For this year (2019), it looks like things are likely to be on the better side...

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Curre...aspx?Southeast

I hiked much if the trail a couple years ago during severe drought conditions, and found as much water as I needed. You just have to follow the advice above, but it isn't anything to be worried about.

Images

Agreed, you could carry only a liter and wouldn't be dry for long if you couldn't find a source before you run out.

At 60 miles, you're almost to Dicks Creek Gap from Springer, if that's your starting point. Might suggest that you start at Unicoi and hike to Amicalola, stopping by the Hike Inn on the way down. That puts you at about 60.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by lucky luke View Post
    no more registers at the shelters? these used to be the most accurate info you could get. and it did work perfectly in the 80´and 90´. we always knew if a spring was dry a day ahead.
    Shelter registers are likely culprits for Norovirus transmission these days, I quit signing them personally.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

++ New Posts ++