I have 319 miles left--from Pinkham Notch to Katahdin. I started 6/18/16. All of my hikes in CT, NJ, PA, MD, W.VA, VA, TN (except the Smokies), NC, and GA have been on weekends. My longest section was 156 miles from Williamstown, MA to Hanover, NH. My next section is in three weeks--from Pinkham Notch to Stratton, ME. I have hiked new miles on the AT 68 times. I've re-hiked most of PA, all of MD, and Northern VA several times but I don't count those. Every blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what was your single longest section?

I'm curious because most people that finish either thru-hike or else attempt a thru-hike and finish in subsequent years. I don't often hear of people that start out section hiking that wind up finishing the whole trail. And generally those that do finish the whole trail include some very long stretches in their section hikes.

In my case, my longest single section has been 50 miles and I have completed around 1200 miles. If I do finish, it will likely involve at least one usually long (for me) section.

I posed this question before, but I'm curious what the record will be for the "shortest longest section" for someone who has finished the trail.

For example, if your longest section is 100 miles and another person finishes the trail whose longest section is 75 miles, that person would have a "shorter longest section" than you. I doubt this will ever be a record people will compete to attain, but I'm still curious as to what is the record for the "shortest longest section" for someone who has completed the trail.