WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Oh---and in case ya don't know---the dam has free showers....

Next question. What is the best way to identify resupply points for a certain spot on the trail?

During our seven day trip, we would like to resupply early on day 4. Looking at our agenda, we should be at the Wayah Bald shelter on our fourth night so we would be stopping after that

I have both Guthooks and the AWOL guide book but, have only looked at Guthooks thus far. Maybe I'm not looking for it in the right place but in don't see the info in Guthooks.

I'll take suggestions but, would rather understand the process.

Thank you all.

After/before (depending if SoBo or NoBo)Wayah Bald try to hitch a ride in to Franklin at US 64 (Winding Stair).

Leonidas

We resupplied in Franklin, we went in from Rock Gap. Then we resupplied at the N.O.C., pricey but convenient.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    Next question. What is the best way to identify resupply points for a certain spot on the trail?

During our seven day trip, we would like to resupply early on day 4. Looking at our agenda, we should be at the Wayah Bald shelter on our fourth night so we would be stopping after that

I have both Guthooks and the AWOL guide book but, have only looked at Guthooks thus far. Maybe I'm not looking for it in the right place but in don't see the info in Guthooks.

I'll take suggestions but, would rather understand the process.

Thank you all.
    The AWOL Guide is more useful for resupply for me. It has maps of trail towns showing where everything is that a hiker would want (grocery stores, AYCE, post office, etc) in a nice format.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The AWOL Guide is more useful for resupply for me. It has maps of trail towns showing where everything is that a hiker would want (grocery stores, AYCE, post office, etc) in a nice format.
    Thank you. I pulled my current section out of the guide for review this morning. I love planning and logistics, so this is all fun.

dam nice showers too....

When I did this section (in October BTW), I went all the way to NOC before resupplying, then just 2 days to Fontana made the load lighter going up Cheoh Bald. I have heard of people getting rides at Stecoah and Winding Chair Gaps to resupply but have not done this personally.

Doing Unicoi to Fontana Damn Oct 14-23 with a resupply/rest day in Franklin. Any pointers on shuttle, route and such?

When are you all starting? I am starting from Unicoi gap on OCT 13, stopping in Franklin on day 5 ( I hope) then on to Fontana. Im wondering about the water situation now

Quote Originally Posted by donlynn05 View Post
    When are you all starting? I am starting from Unicoi gap on OCT 13, stopping in Franklin on day 5 ( I hope) then on to Fontana. Im wondering about the water situation now
    The 12th. Guthooks has been helpful as it lets me see recent reports on water sources. I think we will be okay as long as we keep checking and plan accordingly.

The 12th. Guthooks has been helpful as it lets me see recent reports on water sources. I think we will be okay as long as we keep checking and plan accordingly.
    You will be a day and 15 miles ahead of me, good luck! i got Guthooks, still trying to get used to it

I'll be going from DCG to Winding Stair Oct 11-14. I think water is good now with some of the rain. Donald Ballard (The Furthur Shuttle) on Facebook (App Trail) is shuttler around there and has been reporting on water sources. I'll be driving up from FL on Thursday night.

Maybe we'll catch up to you..

Okay all, now the next question.

We are going to leave a single car at DCG for the week. What's the best way to get back there from Fontana? Rental car or shuttle. It's a 4 hour round trip for a shuttle driver, that seems unreasonable to me but, maybe that's normal.
    I used Sally and Joyce (706-896-9339) last week for my first section from Amicalola to Dicks Creek. They are listed on WhiteBlaze under the shuttle providers link. The great thing about them is you can leave your vehicle at their residence (about 3 miles away from DCG) while hiking. I think I paid 90 for the 3 hour round trip, which seems reasonable to me. They do go to Fontana according to the WhiteBlaze listing. I didnt meet Joyce, but Sally was a highlight of the trip. Full of life and experiences. Very flexible, punctual, and just an overall awesome lady.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++