WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I use a 3L platypus (for dry camps) reservoir/filter and 1L smartwater bottle. Nalgene is unnecessary dead weight.

My water carry varies based on what type of water purification I use and whether or not I'm going solo or not. If I use chemicals (AquaMira drops), I'll typically carry two 1-L 'cheap' water bottles (SmartWater for one & an old, wide-mouth AquaFina bottle that is no longer made with a 24-oz Gatorade duckbill cap), a 2-L Platypus bag, and a small 500ml bottle cut down as a water scoop for shallow water sources.

If I'm using my Sawyer Squeeze, I'll take the same water bottles & the 64 oz Sawyer bag or possibly the 2-L Cnoc water bag along with my water scoop.

If I'm going with other people that might use my water filter, I'll take the same bottles, take AquaMira as a backup, take two 2-L Cnoc water bags (one orange - dirty water - and one blue - clean water), my Sawyer Squeeze with a coupler, and utilize the system in a gravity feed method. I'll still take my water scoop.

If 4-L of water capacity isn't sufficient for my hike, I'll add additional 2-L Platypus bags as needed.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

For an AT thru hike. 2x 1L smartwater bottles and a 2L evernew bag is a good place to start.

You do not require that much capacity on the AT. You may find you prefer different bottles such as a widemouth perhaps.

I agree with Dogwood. The only time I've busted a soft bag is when using them with sawyer filters. It stresses the seams and will eventually fail.

I suppose dropping one could lead to a failure as well. I find if you use the softbottles as a primary drinking vessel then the push/pull sport cap is a necessity.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I've always used a combination of plastic bottles (Gatoraide and/or Smart water), Platypus bags and Sawyer bags. Only thing that has failed me in the last 15 years was a Sawyer bag I squeezed too hard.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

OK, Nalgenes aren't all that heavy. I think more than anything, they're going to get nasty with use, and I think it makes more sense to trade out gatorade bottle after a while instead spending money to replace a Nalgene bottle. I think some of it depends on your packing, too. I used to own a GG pack and didn't like the stretchy side pockets for bottles - and in fact GG admitted as much that they weren't made for bottles. Whereas the ULA packs have pockets that fits wide bottles like Nalgenes nicely. I use a Platy because it seems more efficient to me to carry water in bulk, but I prefer drinking from a bottle and its more convenient around camp.

This said, I often do carry a smaller Nalgene type bottle in winter to pour hot water into at night. Just more substantial, trust it won't leak, and isn't getting ruined with the minimal use.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

One thing that made a lot of sense to me about going with a disposable water bottle was, if anything came up where you had to put a fluid in there other than water, you can just throw it away after. Like in an emergency situation where you need a container for fuel or, as Starchild mentioned, a pee bottle. You aren't out very much at all if you have to toss it out. On a side note: If re -using disposable water bottles, you should change them out occasionally as they can degrade over time and you will end up drinking the plastic. Expiration dates on water bottles are usually for the plastic, not the water, so I would use that as a max life span for any water bottle you can throw away.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Expiration dates on water bottles are usually for the plastic, not the water, so I would use that as a max life span for any water bottle you can throw away.
    Good to know... always wondered how "water" could expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    Look at the 2L Cnoc Vecto for a dirty water bag, and carry two Smart Water bottles. You can filter what you need during the day into one or two of the bottles, and gives you the option for carrying a massive 4L of water when needed, like in a really dry stretch, or when coming into camp.

The Cnoc's are awesome. They have a wide opening to allow you to scoop water. That opening seals with a slider bar. A Sawyer Squeeze attaches to the other end and you can squeeze water thru, or hang it from the slider bar to gravity feed.
    that nails what my wife finally ended up with.

Ive got a smart water bottle and then add a Gatorade bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    I carry 2 full smart water bottles; attach my Sawyer to one of them, and drink right out of the bottle. Don't carry Sawyer filter bags, or any bladders for additional water. When the Smartwater bottles get a little nasty, I buy 2 more when I resupply. Lightweight and economical. BTW, if you are going to get a Sawyer filter, don't buy the mini!
    That is the new standard I’ve seen on the trail.

The micro is worlds better than the mini.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    That is the new standard I’ve seen on the trail.

The micro is worlds better than the mini.
    The trouble with this new trail "standard" (which I agree, is very common, almost like current hikers are in uniform with it), is that it is not quite enough water capacity for maximum flexibility on where to camp. If you dry camp, which I like to do often to avoid crowds and overused camps, it sure helps having an extra 2L platypus bottle along. Less than 2 ounces, I believe. Basically, that's my kit, 2 1L water bottles (sometimes smart water, sometimes a mix of different brands) and a 2L platypus.

And yeah, wow, the micro is way better than the mini.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++