WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply places when going southbound

My wife and I will be hiking the Hunt trail August 8 and then we will be starting south on the AT. We want to carry as little food as possible. Where is a good place to resupply after leaving Baxter State Park and how far off the trail is the location?

Millinocket which requires a hitch via the Golden road from Abol Bridge, its going to eat up half a day. Abol Bridge store has very minimal expensive supplies that many northbounders thru hikers use to cover their last day. White House landing reportedly has a small inventory of supplies, I have heard mixed reports that they may or may not accept boxes sent by mail. They are in remote location so if supplies are sent to them it may take a few extra days (if they accept them). There are a couple of firms that do resupplies off the Katahdin Iron Works Road in the 100 Mile wilderness. The next town is Monson which is few miles off the AT but the traditional resupply point and first zero for southbounders. The AMC has a pretty fancy facility off the AT in the 100 MW, I do not know if they accept packages via mail. I dont hear about a lot of hikers using them.

If you have big wad of cash, there are several entrepreneurs that will set up custom food drops as contrary to popular belief there are numerous private roads that cross the wilderness.

Millinocket is 18 miles. Why not purchase all of your food at the start and leave it with your pack at the ranger station at Katahdin Stream Campground. They will give you day packs for the summit climb. It’s a very easy 4 hour hike to Abol bridge and the start of the 100 mile Wilderness the next day. The AT lodge in Millinocket will set you up with a food drop at the halfway point in the wilderness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your leaving in 4 days and just now trying to figure this out? Good luck.

After leaving Baxter, you have two options - carry 10 days of food or arrange to have a food drop at about the 1/2 mark, so you only have to carry 5 days of food. At 68, I kind of doubt you'll be doing more then 10 miles a day. Figure shelter to shelter at best.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 08-04-2019 at 10:00.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Unless you are already in thru hiker shape you should arrange a food drop in the hundred mile. I met people using Shaw's who said it cost $80 to have your own food dropped. Some people tried to carry 12 days of food and planned two days in BSP and ten days in the hundred mile. If you are in thru hiker shape then do the 100 mile in 5 days and carry 5 days of food.

The hike you are planning is difficult. I saw many people out there who planned the same hike and didn't make it. They either turned around or arranged for transportation out of the 100 mile. My recommendation is to be very aware of your abilities before starting this hike. It's not the place to figure things out.

++ New Posts ++