WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Homemade Hammock Straps/ Cords

I have seen people with hammock cords/ straps made with Paracord as I have been hiking. Can anyone recommend a safe/ heavy duty way of making a set with Paracord?

~Pamela

“Not all those who wander are lost.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Paracord is not nearly strong enough for hammock hanging. Similar sized cord made of vastly stronger fibers is. For real simplicity, buy 25 feet or so of 1 inch tubular nylon webbing, cut in in half, melt the ends a bit, and learn a couple of simple knots. Simple and easy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I second the nylon straps. If you want some hardware, you can use cinch buckles or you can learn marlin spike hitch, or one of a dozen different ways to attach it. Check out hammockforums and if you havent, pick up a copy of the ultimate hang (or his website).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Also paracord soaks up tons of water and stretches quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any straps that are around the tree need to be at least one inch wide, to avoid damage to the tree.
    Paracord certainly won't fit that bill.

Plus as another has already said, paracord stretches and absorbs water...

Incidentally, more than twelve or so feet of webbing (depending on tree diameter) has no advantage. You can't reach high enough in the tree to keep you butt off the ground when trees are much over 20' apart.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Dutchwaregear.com is all you need to know about hammock related straps,hammocks,hardware etc.Dutch is the authority.Also Warbonnet.com is a great source.My personal favorite is Dutch's black and white striped poly spider straps with his titanium beetle buckles.Add a good cotton shoelace to each continuous loop placed under the tarp as a water break and you're good to go.Hammock forums is the place to go if you want to learn more about hammocks,quilts,tarps,knots,hardware and the like.

Welcome to WB, and you ask a good question!

I don't doubt for a second that you've seen people using hammocks, hanging them from trees with paracord. Before I got told how bad it was - I did it for quite a long time myself.
    I'll be the first to tell you - yes it will work. Yes it does stretch A LOT! BUT... it is not ideal at all, and as others have mentioned, it isn't very ideal for the trees.
    What I mean by not ideal for the trees is that the paracord cuts into the trees, which is not cool. In some places it's even illegal. Some places have a one inch strap width as a rule, or requirement.

So, all that said - one inch webbing is your friend. Hammock Forums . net has A TON of info pertaining to ways to hang a hammock..... Check'em out.
    Depending on how much you weigh will come into play on what system, or way you hang your hammock. Depending on where you live, and what's available, you can be hanging sweet on some one inch straps for about four whole dollars.
    As is said though - HYOH (hang you own hang) and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

u.w. / willin'

++ New Posts ++