WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Madison?? No. It's steep but the trail maintenance could not be better. You just walk up it.

Southern Maine is the hardest part of the trail. But keep in mind that all of it is very doable. By "hard" people just mean that it can be slow in those areas or that you will do less mileage. "hard" is when you try and keep up your normal mileage through the worst of the obstacle course.
    Going up Madison NoBo is fine, the "hard" part is leaning back against your momentum the next 3 miles going down.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Going up Madison NoBo is fine, the "hard" part is leaning back against your momentum the next 3 miles going down.
    So true. “Hard” is when the trail wrecks your body beyond what you can fully recover from during the night. You can discover this in NH and ME when hiking 8 to 12 hours daily. No single mountain or notch compares.

I find the greatest value with my adjustable poles is going downhill. It really takes a lot of pounding off the feet. I adjust them long. I also have spring loaded poles that further absorb down hill load, the trade of is the spring take awhile getting used to them. The trick is shifting the grip to "palming" the top of the pole when in the steep stuff.

Journal Entries
    Images

You can always slow down if the Trail is steep and the footbed difficult.

But God help you if you are hiking anywhere during the height of the black fly, horsefly or mosquito season, as that can be beyond tough— especially when without a headset and big dope.

I am thinking western MA can be as bad as ME. It sucks (literally) everywhere if you time things poorly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    For me what I remember as being real tough was the approach trail at the start of my NOBO thru.
    I left Amicalola Falls Park with a 50lb pack and a 65 year old body. After about a hour, I took a break, sat on a log and thought: "What the hell am I doing here." Was thinking about going back home. Said to myself, "You have to at least give it a try." That I did and ending hiking the whole trail.

I made the mistake of doing the waterfall steps the first time I went on the AT and almost decided to head back down to my car before I even got to the top. That first day I barely made it to Black Mtn Shelter by sundown and I swear I thought I was gonna have a heart attack on the side of Frosty Mtn.

A few years later I did Blood Mtn in the pouring rain and had a blast so I think experience is huge in determining the difficulty of a section.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

Journal Entries

Southern Maine. It's the Star Trek holodeck with the safety protocols turned off. Nothing comes close.

As for your list:
    Mount Madison. - A pile of rocks,well prepared in PA for this, not hard at all.
    Mount Katahdin. - A celebration difficulty is not noticed.
    Mount Washington. - Via the Crawford Path, one of the nicest trails in the whites.
    Mahoosuc Notch. - Yes, hard but also very fun, something to look forward to, but also it's difficult.
    Cheoah Bald., Who? Actually I lost a friend to Nora there, but otherwise unremarkable in terms of difficulty.
    Lehigh Gap / Superfund Trailhead. - Fun Fun --- (short) till I went on and there was no water for the next 18 miles or so.
    The Priest. - I went SoBo here due to slackpacking. Yes it's a climb, but the fascinating part is the shelter log where people confess their AT sins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++