WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Atkins - SOBO to Damascus

Starting the hike on Saturday. Dropping the car in Damascus and shuttling to Atkins
    Guessing we'll start hiking around 2pm. How bad is the first climb out of Atkins?
    Hoping to get past the Chatfield Shelter to the top of the mountain. That's about 1.6 miles past Chatfield.

Let me know your thoughts. Doable?

It starts out easy enough, but is a slow, steady up hill. Depends on how far you want to go on a hot, muggy afternoon.

If the campsite at the top of the hill isn't well used, it could be overgrown with brambles this time of year. A risk you'd have to take. The third site past Chatfield looks to be the best one, but is a ways off. At that point you might as well go the rest of the way to Partnership.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wouldnt really consider it a climb. Just a blip on the profile. Starting at 2 will give you 6+ hours of daylight to use, wont have a problem finding a place to pitcha tent.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

The first part up to Chatfield is easy. The rest of the way up Glade Mtn is harder, but not terrible. The trail follows a creek for a little ways past Chatfield, but after that I don't remember seeing any water until Partnership.

The area around the gravel road on the south side of Glade Mtn (about 2 miles past Chatfield) is flat and pretty open and the road looks like it gets very little traffic, so you could probably camp somewhere around there.
    It's all good in the woods.

++ New Posts ++