WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need info on pay shelters

I see that most of the information on this forum about shelters is older information, and references to pay links about shelters have been removed. Can I get an update on pay shelter information (what shelters are pay shelters; how much do they charge; and do you pay if you tent?)

Also, from my Guthooks Ap on the Long trail, shelters and campsites seem to be plentiful, but I'd like any feedback on great stays or any that are better passed over.

Thanks!

There are a hand full of shelters which have caretakers and fees. It also applies to tents. The caretakers are at popular spots to ride herd over the crowds. I believe if you are thru hiking, you can pay once and stay at the rest for free, but don't quote me until you verify it with the Green Mountain Club.

Speaking of the GMC, if you go to their web site all this information is right there. No need to take my word for it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Here are the pay sites in the first 100 miles northbound:

Stratton Pond Shelter and Tentsites
    Peru Peak Shelter
    Griffith Lake Tentsites
    Little Rock Pond Shelter

At the locations listed above, pay a $5 fee once, keep the receipt and the others on this list are free. NEW this year: If you are a member of Green Mountain Club (who maintains the Long Trail), show your membership card and all shelters are FREE along the entire trail in Vermont.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Of course, if you want you can be a nice person and pay at each shelter to help out the club

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Of course, if you want you can be a nice person and pay at each shelter to help out the club
    if the pay scale is the same as when I was a caretaker, you'll be helping the caretaker, not the club! When I did it (1975), my only income came from the hikers that stayed & paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    if the pay scale is the same as when I was a caretaker, you'll be helping the caretaker, not the club! When I did it (1975), my only income came from the hikers that stayed & paid.
    Well that too. When I was a caretaker for the GMC (1989/1990) I got a $20/week stipend and got to keep the $2 overnight fee I was usually able to get visitors to pay. Not much to live on, but usually made enough to eat the next week. Don't know how they work it these days.

Good information, all. Also, it was nice meeting you on the trail just south of Harper's Ferry last year, Slo-go'en.

++ New Posts ++