WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pearisburg to Catawba

I'm planning to do a section from Pearisburg to Catawba in Virginia in mid October. I'm not sure if it's best to end at Four Pines Hostel and have my car there or park it at route 311. It'd be there for several days. Would that be safe or better at the hostel?

Images

I hiked that section a couple of years ago. I don't know if you are set on heading north, but we walked south back to Pearisburg and it worked well. At the suggestion of our shuttle driver, Don Raines, we parked at the Giles Farm Bureau and had no problems. I parked there for my Bland to Pearisburg section as well. One of the benefits of using Pearisburg as a base is that we tented at the hostel at the Catholic church the night before so we could get an early start and we took a shower there after our hike. It was also nice to have several restaurants to choose from at the end of the hike.

Images

Your car will be fine in either location. That's a tough section with several back to back 2000' climbs and descents.

Be sure to hit up the Homeplace when you finish. Best AYCE restaurant on the southern AT!
    It's all good in the woods.

I would not park a car at Catawba if possible. That parking lot is incredibly crowded on the weekends. 4 Pines would be a good bet, or consider pushing a bit further to the park and ride at Troutville.

Four Pines, your car will be safe, they can shuttle you to the start, and you can get a shower after you finish.

OP, might see you out there. Me and a friend are discussing doing Pearisburg to Daleville or Troutville some time in October as well. Our plan is NOBO and to have The Homeplace and the VA Triple Crown as our rewards towards the end of our hike.
    It is what it is.

Thanks all. I'm going to check with Four Pines.

++ New Posts ++