WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultralight multi tool?

I need a tool to provide the following functions:
    Knife at least 2" (cut salami, blocks of cheese, summer sausage, bear line, food packaging, leukotape)
    pliers for a pot grabber
    Can opener
    under 4oz

Does such a tool exist?

Why not buy (or make) pre-cut salami, summer sausage, cheese and bear line, use your bandana as a pot grabber and avoid carrying cans.

Then if you precut your leukotape and use ziploc bags for food, you could carry a knife that weighs nothing.

I carry a Victorinox Classic in the summer and a Leatherman Squirt in the winter. Neither weighs over 2 oz. The Squirt would actually do all you ask above if you can figure out how to cut your cheese and meat with a shorter (and I'd argue perfectly adequate) blade, and if your are comfortable opening your cans with that same short blade.

If you want a bigger "blade" to spread peanut butter or the like, you can always use the handle of your spoon.

Good luck.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Why not buy (or make) pre-cut salami, summer sausage, cheese and bear line, use your bandana as a pot grabber and avoid carrying cans.
    -Some of those may not be available at resupply. Tried the bandana, boiling water burned my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    -Some of those may not be available at resupply. Tried the bandana, boiling water burned my hand.
    Here is a well liked and ultra-light pot gripper you may find useful and lighter than a pair of pliers - although not as multi-purpose. ;-)
    If you are traveling along or with a loved one, teeth work quite well for chopping for those instances that you can't get sliced proteins.
    And, if you still want to have a purpose-built can opener, these little suckers weigh almost nothing.

A Victorinox Classic knife with blade, screwdriver, tweezers, tooth pick, scissors, and file weighs 0.7 oz.
    The GSI pot grip weighs 0.5 oz.
    The can opener listed above is probably < 0.1 oz.

A combined total of < 1.5 oz.

You could then add a Victorinox 3.1 inch blade paring knife at 0.8 oz and still be <3 oz with a 3" blade!

Live it!

Yeah, I've go that GSU Microgripper in my Amazon cart already, plus already owning a Paraframe Mini and a P51 (~2oz total). Just trying to find a all-in-1 solution before spending on the Gripper, and because I really like my leatherman Juice S2 (5 oz).

If you really like the Juice. Take it.
    You can always change your mind the next time if you find you don't use it in a way that justifies it weight.

Like me, you may find you like it for some trips and it is complete overkill on others.

Leatherman Skeletool claims to be 5 ounces but its a handy design as far as those widgets go. The Skeletool has a carabiner that functions as a bottle opener and can be used to clip the tool to a daisy chain or pack strap. Unless you insist on the "cool factor" of a multi tool, an Opinel number 6 or number 8 has a thinner blade that is far better for food prep/slicing and dicing and paired with a small set of jewelers pliers the two pieces would weigh about half and cost about 15USD vs 50-60 for the Leatherman.

Journal Entries

I have gerber dime, in fact 3 of them.

No can opener, same with the Gerber Vise

Victorinox Delux Tinker has pliers, knife blade, can and bottle openers and a bunch of other stuff at 4.3 oz. The pliers are a bit small but they might work as a pot lifter.

Broke down and bought the GSI Microgripper locally (amazon was overpriced).

Leatherman CS 1.43 oz. No pot gripper, but has really functional scissors instead of pliers. I think they have a corresponding sized tool with pliers instead of scissors. As for the Leukotape, I precut it at home in various sizes and shapes
    and stuck it to that shiny label backing material. The whole roll of leukotape was too heavy to bring along. If you need more than a half dozen, or dozen pieces of Leukotape before your feet adapt, your shoes are the wrong shoes.

++ New Posts ++