WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Seeking Trekking Pole Tent Advice

I think I’ve got 4 tents I’m interested in but just cannot decide: Gossamer Gear The One, Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, Lightheart Gear Solo, and Tarptents Notch. I’m rather small but hoping for one my pack and I will comfortably fit in and my main concern is staying dry. Would love any advice or insight on these tents to help me make a decision.

Images

I have set up and looked over the Lunar Solo, Lightheart, and Notch, and owned several SMD and Tarptent brand tents.

All are well made and will hold up to a thruhike with some moderate care. If I had to pick one for myself, it would be the Notch. Having two doors and two vestibules maximizes space and airflow, as well as views when available. Plus I have owned some very nice Tarptents and I like how they are designed in general.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Ditto on the Notch. Double side doors and vestibules are a real plus. Very well made and great service when and if needed.

Consider the Notch Li, it will change your kit. No sag, either.

I'm curious about the popularity of the Lunar Solo/Duo as opposed to the similar Skyscape Scout or Trekker. Doesn't the Lunar only open on one side, preventing much in the way of cross-breezes? For venting condensation/humidity as well as heat in the warmer months, I'd want the ability to open both sides. If you're in colder climates and you don't want both sides open, you can still just open just one side with the Skyscape. Is it just to save 2 oz?

I’m actually considering the Skyscape as well. I just noticed that the Solo isn’t double walled and the Skyscape is. So far I’m leaning toward the Notch.

Love my Notch, I would look into the Notch Li if you don't mind the price. The Li solves the biggest complaint I have with the Notch, which is the tendency of silnylon to sag when wet. The biggest advantage of the Notch over the others in your list is the fact that it is a true double wall tent. Less chance of getting wet due to condensation and brushing against a wet fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
    I’m actually considering the Skyscape as well. I just noticed that the Solo isn’t double walled and the Skyscape is. So far I’m leaning toward the Notch.
    IIRC, the Skyscape isn't a true double wall, it's a hybrid. The sides are (in essence) double-walled, but the "roof" is single-layer fly with no netting.

I never have enough sagging with the Notch(>300 nights) for it to register as a "problem". The lack of interior space with an inner, and of width at the head and foot ends, along with there not being an easy way to suspend a bathtub floor(not an inner, just a floor) are its only shortcomings for me. I like the idea of a SMD Deschutes, which addresses all of those, but some of the reviews and videos have left me dubious about their quality. Tarptent's is top Notch

Images

Another one to add to the mix is Sierra Design's High Route 1. The design looks similar to the Notch but the trekking pole placement is moved away from the doors center, kind of asymmetric . It looks as if it would make entry and exit a little easier.

Anyone have experience with this one?

I'm using a MSR Hubba that has served me very well but it would be nice to shed a pound or so.

Images

I've used Lightheart Solo for New Mexici CDT and all over New England. I would buy another.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
    I think I’ve got 4 tents I’m interested in but just cannot decide: Gossamer Gear The One, Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, Lightheart Gear Solo, and Tarptents Notch. I’m rather small but hoping for one my pack and I will comfortably fit in and my main concern is staying dry. Would love any advice or insight on these tents to help me make a decision.
    Your not going to go wrong with a Tarptent. I have a Tarptent Stratospire 2 with over 2000 miles on it and still love the tent. It is now a loaner tent and I thought I would get fancy with the duplex. I miss the stratospire 2....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I'm curious about the popularity of the Lunar Solo/Duo as opposed to the similar Skyscape Scout or Trekker. Doesn't the Lunar only open on one side,
    The Lunar Duo is IMHO a significantly better tent than the Lunar Solo, and one of the best two-person tents available. It sets up quickly, has two doors on the long sides, two big vestibules, and a TON of interior space. The roof is a single piece of silnylon - it *can't* leak. When ours finally just wore out, the only reason we replaced it with a Zpacks Triplex was to save the pound+ of weight. The Duo is better than the Triplex in several ways other than weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've used a Skyscape for years on the AT, CT, JMT -- love its floorspace and ventilation. It's very wind-worth with the point set into the wind. My only problem is splashback in heavy rain, but Six Moon has recently raised the bathtub height and added a second door. Those improvements added a few ounces, but are probably worth it. Take your time to seam-seal it carefully. Don't know why this tent doesn't get more love.

I had a Skyscape Trekker and replaced it with a TT Notch. I did not like the sagging flat roof panel at the foot of the Skyscape. Also the bathtub floor would not stay up. Also it only had one door so one vestibule was useless. Finally the tie backs use to keep the fly open were poorly designed. This was an older model so maybe some of these have been fixed, but I liked the Notch better. My only complaint about the notch is lack of interior space. This is not a big problem for me as I am usually only iny tent when sleeping, and as a lightweight hikers, I don't have much gear to clutter up the interior. The vestibules are huge so it has helped to learn to take advantage of these. For example I have a small loop of cord to hang my pack from the tip of the trekking pole on the outside under one vestibule. This keeps it out of the tent and also off the ground and still accessible. I also carry a piece of a car sun screen to use as a vestibule floor (among many other things).

BTW, sagging with silnylon , depending on the design, can ne well minimised IF the tent is put in tension once the fabric has cooled down (so after sunset) and it is in TENSION. By that I mean not sort of almost but not really....
    ( a comment I have had a few times adjusting limp tents has been something like : I did not know you could do that.. )
    As an example this is my Notch in the morning after about a foot of snow has fallen on it during the night . Our snow is tipically heavy (lots of water in it , not the fluffy type) so there is a lot of weight on it
    Notch on snow.jpg

Probably the largest mistake I see people doing with silnylon shelters is not giving them a second tightening before bed.

I find with pretty much all non freestanding shelters including tarps that once you get it setup, it has a tendnecy to settle a little bit.

Right before you go in for the night is nice to do a walk around and give the guylines a littlw tightening. This is why I prefer Linceloc 3s in most situations.

What can I say... I like a good pitch.

Cuben fiber shelters have less settling than nylon. But i still give everything a a little snug before crawling into the bag for the night.

I pitch my shelters as taunt as possible though. Everytime. My anxiety wont let me sleep at night if I have a mediocre pitch.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Images

Ditto - have a Lunar Duo and love it. It has been durable for me and holds up well in a stiff wind if you're camping in an exposed spot.

Another benefit the Notch has over some tents is that it has no head or toe, no left or right - so you don't have to figure out which way to pitch it. Every second saved pitching your tent when it's raining is valuable time saved.

++ New Posts ++