WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hike Massachusetts, September 2019?

I am a section hiker, would like a hiking buddy to hike with in Massachusetts in September. I prefer hostels, b&bs, state park (or similar) camping, shuttling and mostly day hikes but short backpacks are okay. I have some miles in the South I also need to finish, so I would like to schedule my hiking in MA. I also need VT and most of NH, so some miles there would be okay.

Minimally, Salisbury, CT to North Adams, MA is on my radar for sometime in September, 2019. Please advise if interested. I am a married male, retired, 12-15 miles per day on The Trail are usually very do-able. My wife supports my hiking adventures by letting me go for a few weeks at a time.

Sincerely, SundanceCO7

Images

I'm starting in MA on or about Sept 9th and hiking south. Probably going to start in Dalton. However, I'm flexible on the section(s) I hike in MA and CT as my goal is just to be out there for a few weeks; don't really care where. Are you still planning to hike? I'm a 62 yo female, also married and retired.
    Surefoot

Quote Originally Posted by Surefoot92 View Post
    I'm starting in MA on or about Sept 9th and hiking south. Probably going to start in Dalton. However, I'm flexible on the section(s) I hike in MA and CT as my goal is just to be out there for a few weeks; don't really care where. Are you still planning to hike? I'm a 62 yo female, also married and retired.
    Surefoot
    Hi Surefoot. Sorry I am just seeing your note. I started my trip east on August 19th, 2019, and was off this website. I had 3 gaps in the south, 90 mi., 90 mi., 70 mi. So I focused on finishing all of those. I am now continuous from Springer Mtn. to Salisbury, CT. Plus, I did the Presi Traverse in NH with my son.

So I am lacking MA, VT, NH (-Crawford to Pinkham), plus Maine.

I am planning on going again next July / August.

I will probably hike MA starting just after July 4th, I can do this either way, NB or SB. I will then head to Maine and head south from Katahdin or Monson. I have a friend to hike in ME with.

Thoughts about next July / August? Just send me a reply. I will check more often this time.

Whatever I do not finish in 2020 I will endeavor to finish in 2021, i.e.: part of ME, VT, NH.

SundanceCO7

Images

Thoughts about next July / August? Just send me a reply. I will check more often this time.
    Whatever I do not finish in 2020 I will endeavor to finish in 2021, i.e.: part of ME, VT, NH.

Sundance,
    I've got a 5 month journey already planned for 2020 - one of my own creation - not any particular trail. However, whatever you don't finish up 2020, I might be able to go with you in 2021. My journey next year does include some of MA/CT but not all on the AT; however, sounds like our paths could cross as I will be on the AT some and also staying at some of the Trail town hostels along my own created journey.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did hike MA this past September and loved it.

Surefoot

Surefoot, Thanks for the quick reply. This past August / September I felt like I had to more or less prioritize finishing the south for my third week down there or hiking MASS. I chose to finish the south, in lieu of having just one more gap in the south and extending my northward adventures into MASS. It was a very nice feeling to close those gaps and have continuity all the way to Salisbury, CT. Salisbury is only about 5 miles from MASS.

I have heard multiple good reports about the AT in MASS. I will check back with this BB / you next May or so before I head east in July. And I will check back with you for 2021. If I stay "healthy and happily hiking," I hope 2021 will only leave me just VT, NH and maybe a short piece of ME. Sounds like we have similar hiking interests. My trips have been 4 to 5 weeks, including driving cross country. Even 4 weeks is long for me to be gone. I do have some obligations here. Ciao. Sundance

++ New Posts ++