WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Odd Man, couldn't have explained it better than that!
    Thanks. It's my day job.

Images

Odd Man Out,
    I figured that might have been the reason and glad you're here. There seems to be a fixation with the odd-ball diets, when a simple plan of variety works well if the quantity of food is adjusted for the activity.
    Simple is good.

Lil bit of this and lil bit of that

Back in my day it was salt pork and hardtack,,, and maggots were considered condiments.
    And weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    Back in my day it was salt pork and hardtack,,, and maggots were considered condiments.
    And weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee liked it.
    Boy, I must be a real wuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've always found that fat is jet fuel for hiking. More so than carbs. You don't want to get energy from protein, it's for muscle repair...
    Fat also gives you fuel without the insulin kick from carbs--Sure Little Debbie tastes good, but do too much of that and you're diabetic.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    . . . Fat also gives you fuel without the insulin kick from carbs--Sure Little Debbie tastes good, but do too much of that and you're diabetic.
    Be careful lumping all carbs, or for that matter all fats or all proteins into a single category. Some carbs may lead to an "insulin kick", as you say. Other carbs are much more complex, break down more slowly and provide a wonderfully stable energy supply. Some fats are good for you, some not so much. Some proteins are critical to consume, others your body can manufacture. . .

And, sadly having a personal stake tied to your last comment, eating carbs DOES NOT LEAD TO DIABETES. Eating lots of carbs, especially quickly digested carbs, when you have diabetes or pre-diabetes can absolutely complicate your health care. BUT, if you are not already heading toward becoming a diabetic for other reasons, eating lots of carbs will NOT lead to getting diabetes! . . . sorry, this is just a little myth that pisses me off due to my family history and my associated education.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    Ok, another approach to this is to figure out how many calories your going to burn and then try to replace them. I'm 220 lbs and burn 700 calories per hour while hiking, so 10 hours of hiking is 7000 calories and that doesn't include the calories burned the other 14 hours per day. If you look at caloric value, its pretty tough to replace that many calories so just get used to the idea that you can't and you will be losing weight.

Average between resupply is 5 to 8 days so I shoot for 2lb of food per day or 10 to 16 lbs of food for each leg of the hike. If you can find food that has at least 100 calories per ounce then one days food will yield greater than 3200 calories per day.

My choice is to cook one meal per day usually dinner

Dinner is usually Mountain House or similar 2 serving packet or Ramen with foil pack tuna or chicken augment with powdered potatoes, maybe bacon bits. shoot for greater than 500 calories

For breakfast I might have a cup of coffee, but usually will have a Probar or RX bar as I'm walking. 1 bar = 300-370 calories

For Lunch I might just have another Probar or RX bar, but I like to make a Tortilla sandwich with salami and cheese or peanut butter and honey. 2 oz of Salami and some cheese on a Tortilla can get you between 500-800 calories. Same for Peanut Butter and honey.

So meals get me about 2000 calories per day. To fill the rest of my calorie requirements I carry a couple of candy bars, a couple of protein bars, Jerky, cheese and crackers and hard candy to get me another 1500 calories.

Its difficult not to loose weight on the trail.
    Do you realize 700 kcals/hr is about 75-80% of VO2 max for most people? This represents a very high level of exertion over 10 hours, one that only elite athletes can put out.

I am in my 60's. My VO2 max is 61 ml/kg. I am accustomed to exercising for long periods of time. Unless you are very young and a world class athlete, you are not burning 7000 calories just hiking and you certainly would not be doing it day after day. How do you know you burn that much?

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisalwaysgood View Post
    Hi, i was told i need two things for the trail when it comes to food

Protein
    Carbs

And to carry enough for 3 to 4 days ( then stop at a town, resupply and continue on)

With that in mind what would you say would be great ideas for

1. Breakfast
    2. Lunch
    3. Dinner
    4. Snacks

Thanks
    Did you forget fats?

Your brain is 60% fat. Don't neglect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    How do you know you burn that much?
    I'm no nutritionist. I just pulled that figure offAtlas Guides website. https://atlasguides.com/how-many-cal...e-thru-hiking/

I don't know if I burn 700 cals per hour, but I do know I lose weight on every week+ hike I've ever done. I guess my point is that I can't carry enough calories to replace the calories I burn. Shooting for 100+ calories per ounce and 2 pounds per day is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanatuk View Post
    I'm no nutritionist. I just pulled that figure offAtlas Guides website. https://atlasguides.com/how-many-cal...e-thru-hiking/

I don't know if I burn 700 cals per hour, but I do know I lose weight on every week+ hike I've ever done. I guess my point is that I can't carry enough calories to replace the calories I burn. Shooting for 100+ calories per ounce and 2 pounds per day is a good start.

Thanks. 700 calories per hour is around 6 mph on the flats or probably around 4-5,000 vertical feet per hour depending on weight.

Your point that it is impossible to replace the calories is so true and an excellent point. Studies (I will try to find) have shown that on long endeavors like thru hiking or cross country bicycle rides, after some days or maybe a week, the most one can assimulate is 4500-6000 calories total per day. The key is frequent nibbling of a 150-250 calories per hour, not massive meals. What I found is after a few weeks, I get weird cravings, so, I just let my eyes look at stuff in the grocery store when resupplying. If my eyes say buy it, I assume my body needs it. I tend to like disgusting fatty foods when the body starts to get really lean, stuff like half a dozen egg mcmuffins or 3 quarter pounders with cheese and the big vanilla shake. It goes into pot belly stove and goes, "poof"

They found that no matter the event, energy expenditure sharply leveled off after about 20 days, eventually plateauing at about 2.5 times an athlete’s BMR. At that point, the body is burning calories more quickly than it can absorb food and convert it into energy, representing a biologically determined ceiling on human performance, the researchers report today in Science Advances. After an athlete hits this ceiling, their body must dip into fat reserves for energy.
    We found that sustained energy intake was similar across studies (2.36 ± 0.59× BMR) and independent of event duration (Fig. 3B), consistent with an alimentary mechanism limiting SusMS.
    This was a study of 6 runners who ran a marathon a day all the way from the West Coast to the East Coast. They burned around 5,500 calories per day. Interestingly, they could only eat around 2.5 times their basal metabolic rate. To the OP's question about what to eat, whatever and whenever you can.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...uman-endurance

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/6/eaaw0341

Images

((Calorie intake per day - Calories burned per day) X Nunber of days hiking per week) / 3500 = Lbs gain or loss during the days hiked per week.

If you know, or can approximate, 3 of the 4 variables in the above formula you will get a good estimate of the remaining variable; it takes a little algebra.
    Simple is good.

This should give a decent estimate of calories burned.

https://www.outsideonline.com/239493...-burned-hiking

I came across this website, it has an enormous and remarkable amount of helpful food planning tools and spreadsheets. The dataset on various foods is mindblowing (to me)

https://www.lengthytravel.com/free-l...resupply-tool/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++