WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Magic in MA

Hi, if there is a better subforum for this question please let me know.

My friends and i hiked the pct 10 years ago and to celebrate we wanted to do some trail magic. A trip out west wasnt feasible so we would like to do something for AT hikers in MA near border with New York and VT, we are thinking up at mt greylock

If we posted up at greylock in mid august, think we would see some hikers? Would a different time be better to hit the pack? Thanks!
    Last edited by rossediamond; 07-14-2019 at 13:32.

Greylock is near the VT/Mass. border

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Greylock is near the VT/Mass. border
    Thanks for your insightful response. Yes technically this is trail magic in MA, ill change the thread title. My friends live right on the other side of the ny border

You may have to pay to enter the park if driving to the top of the mountain

Probably not a bad idea to call Mt. Greylock Reservation and be sure its ok to have the event at the summit and if there are any issues in serving food. Keep in mind this is a significant attraction drawing a lot of people to the top parking areas that may want to join you.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Probably not a bad idea to call Mt. Greylock Reservation and be sure its ok to have the event at the summit and if there are any issues in serving food. Keep in mind this is a significant attraction drawing a lot of people to the top parking areas that may want to join you.
    Thanks for the heads up. We'll look into that for logistics - we may even skip greylock and do it near there. Does anyone have info on whether this is the right time of year for this area though? I'm mostly concerned that we'll set up for the day and won't see any hikers. I'm happy to do so and roll the dice, but would love to maximise my odds. Thanks

I would stear away from greylock. There are already hiker amenities up on top like free ice water and lunch. Go up into VT some ways over the state line crossing and setup where there arnt any of these amenities.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Agree with Gambit. Two towns, Dalton and Cheshire, prior to Greylock and Amenities on Top. Look for Road crossings from the Base to Great Barrington, for possibilities. Mid August you may have more SOBOs. Not sure but most NOBOs are working through this section Mid July. I know I spent the fourth in Great Barrington. However, Trail Magic is never frowned upon!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++