WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tipi?.....

Since everyone has already said shelter etc 10 times.... I'll go with 3 items that I bring that aren't needed.
    - Adequate power bank. Kindle app, audio book if I want, etc
    - Sea to Summit Aeros pillow.... I just sleep better
    - A small sit pad (~1 oz) that I got from China for $2. Multiple uses. Dry seat in the rain or on rough terrain, somewhere to rest my elbow lying on rocks, I put it under my sleeping mat to elevate my head

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    ... This is a really stupid question that doesn't really inform anyone of anything useful.
    If you really think it's a stupid question, I wouldn't bother commenting.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

It's rare to see someone not pack a stove and fuel, but it's done. There are some who believe it saves them weight (presumably they figure it's the key to Katahdin when walking up Springer), some people are cheap, others irresponsible. So they eat in town a lot, cold camp, or mostly beg others to use their equipment to cook meals, which in my view is irresponsible given the opportunity to obtain this equipment and be self sufficient.
    I see plenty of folks cold-soaking and eating food that doesn't need cooking... without begging others for hot water. 80% of my meals don't need a stove, and plenty of my summer trips are made without one. I don't need to "believe" it saves weight, I can prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I see plenty of folks cold-soaking and eating food that doesn't need cooking... without begging others for hot water. 80% of my meals don't need a stove, and plenty of my summer trips are made without one. I don't need to "believe" it saves weight, I can prove it.
    Probably more common not to need a stove in treks of a few days duration as opposed to the thru hiking context this was geared to, but experiences differ around the US and over the years. Yes it saves weight from micro grams to ounces, however it would be hard to prove that small weight savings will make the difference to reach Katahdin from Springer, which was the intent of the comment. Suffice to day, I don't consider a stove (regardless of type) as a non-essential luxury on a long distance hike, which is how interpreted the question.

I went stoveless from Damascus to Katahdin because I found that warm food was only important to me when the weather was cold. Otherwise, it just felt like extra weight and more significantly, extra time and effort in the evening. Cold soaking was lighter and more efficient.

I'm actually more likely to bring a stove on a quick overnight where the extra weight doesn't matter as much and I have more time at camp in the evening because I don't have the trail legs to hike such long hours. I'd estimate at least a quarter of thru-hikers on the AT last year were stoveless, and I personally never witnessed any begging to borrow a stove and fuel. Do agree it made me appreciate my town meals every 4-5 days though!
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

Images

Leaving aside the obvious (yeah, tent....duh!), here are the big three in terms of winning the weight vs utility challenge:

(1) Miniature multifunction knife with pliers. Pull splinters, cut shavings, screwdrivers for repairs, pliers for splinters/ticks, repairs, etc.
    (2) 10' of RED duct tape (wrapped on water bottle or similar). Repairs tents, poles, shoes, butterfly bandages and ankle wraps, blisters, makes signs, etc
    (3) Nylon water carrying bag. Carries 1 gal+ from springs to tent/shelter, slowly leaks (lister-bag style) to cool the water, usable as extra carry bag, wash basin, emergency rain hat, more.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

safety supplies (safety first!)
    camera (not phone camera)
    trekking poles
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Images

Excellent; I'll drop the water bag, and replace it with the poles. Camera and safety supplies are lower on the list. Thanks!

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Call me silly, but I would have thought the OP meant what are the 3 most important items BESIDES the obvious givens, like shelter and a sleep system.
    Not exactly obvious to everyone.
    According to CNN you don't need to bring a shelter on an AT hike: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...ail/index.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++