WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail Completed

Default Trail Completed

After 166 days, spread over 12 years, I completed the trail today. I started at Springer on May 28, 2008 and finished on Katahdin today, July 10, 2019. Thanks for all the help and advice over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Road runner View Post
    After 166 days, spread over 12 years, I completed the trail today. I started at Springer on May 28, 2008 and finished on Katahdin today, July 10, 2019. Thanks for all the help and advice over the years.
    ConGratS Brother! Coolest accomplishment, and when's the book comin' out? Did you get to pick peak weather and seasons over that span or just as it came?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

I work at a school, so I went when I had time off. I went spring breaks, fall breaks, and summer breaks. I couldn’t have picked a better day to summit. It was absolutely beautiful up there today.

Congratulations! Every section hiker rejoices when the dream comes true!
    Best wishes on your plans for whatever is next.
    I hope your plans include more long hikes, even if they take 12 years . . .

Congrats!!! Quite a good feeling for sure. What's next?
    - Trail name: Thumper

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Congratulations from one section hiker to another!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Journal Entries

I can feel it! We're at 94.4% complete. I have a detailed plan for next year's finale (we didn't hike a continuous line like you did). It's hard to imagine what life will be like when we're done. The anticipation is building, and I've thought about how I'll announce it when the day comes. Such an epic accomplishment, and then it's over. Just like that. Done. And just like the thru-hikers, no one cares as much as you do. The congratulations, expressions of awe, pats on the back - they're just a few moments. And then it's just you with the memories you can relive long after you've moved on to something else.

So CONGRATULATIONS, Road Runner! Beep Beep!!!

Congratulations. I can only imagine the perseverance necessary to go back out time after time. Connecting the sections is always a logistical challenge. Great job.

Congratulations !!! Job well done !

Images

Congratulations! Time for round two!

Sincere congrats to you.

I am also a section hiker, so I hope you will talk a bit more about your hike. For example, what was the greatest number of days you were out? What was the fewest? Did you start each section where you stopped previously or did you shuffle things up for efficiency? What things or gear did you do differently toward the end of your sectioning than you did at the beginning (lessons learned, so to speak)?

Finally, now that it's done, have you pretty much had enough or do you have other long trails in mind?

All said, again, congrats!

Congratulations! I finished last year, after a similarly long section hike that included over a year and change for a broken ankle to heal. I was happy to summit Katahdin, but felt more wistful than triumphant because I had so many interesting experiences along the way. Here's to future adventures, wherever they may lead.

So impressed that you stuck with it over a 12 year period. Congratulations!

Images

Congratulations! I always love hearing when people finish multi-year section hikes. It's like celebrating someone making it to retirement - good morale boost for everyone who's still chugging along, trying to get there.
    It's all good in the woods.

Looks like you picked a great day and place to finish. I also was long term sectioner but it ended up that my last mile was near White Rocks in VT but at least my first mile was heading up the Hunt Trail in 1970.

I hope you are staying a few days in Baxter as there are a lot of other great mountains to visit that many thru hikers don't even give a thought to as they head out the gate

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Congratulations Road runner.

While I haven't hike the AT, I have an inkling of what you feel like as I would have had a similar feeling when, after 20 years, I completed the task of hiking every official back country trail in GSMNP. But I would count your accomplishment to be the greater as you had to hike about 35% more trail miles to complete your task, and I think logistics of travelling to/from various destinations along a 2,000 mile linear trail is more difficult compared to my travels to the same national park over and over.

I see that you're about 5 hours away from GSMNP... if you don't have plans to tackle something like the PCT, perhaps you could join the likes of me and my son working on the GSMNP 900 Miler Club (I did it living around Birmingham, AL... and it doesn't take 20 years... my son will likely complete the task in 8 years).

Great Job RoadRunner! Would love if you would share some of your experiences during your journey, any highlights, challenges, revelations, tips, etc...
    It is what it is.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Very cool! Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++