WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Aloksak Bags

Default Aloksak Bags

Are the
    Aloksak Bags
    as good as the advertisements for preventing food odors from getting out?
    Was thinking of using them when hanging my food.

I know it really helps me from smelling the food. Not sure how effective it is for bears. I use them primarily to reduce the scent of my garbage- like opened tuna pouches etc. plus anything I have opened -like cheese. They are very durable. I have been washing and reusing the same set for 4-5 years now. I definitely do not put all of my food in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Supposedly the Loksaks are more odor resistant than Ziplocks. And they probably are to some degree. But they also fail at seams and welds like other plastic bags. Read reviews. They don't do anything about the residual food odors on your hands (what do you use to close the Loksaks?), your clothes, your pack and other gear, etc. And you can buy a whole box of quart size and a box of gallon size Ziplock freezer bags for the price of two medium size Loksaks. If it was, say, bears that concerned me enough to consider spending $20 on a few plastic bags, I think I'd put that money towards a bear canister.

I've been using a set of OPSAK bags on and off for a few years and they've held up well. I test them for leaks with water. None found yet. Their made with a thick, tough plastic. A little difficult to properly zip them closed, but seals good when you do. Ziplocks really don't come close.

I'd still hang my food, but with the smelly stuff in the odor proof bag, your not broadcasting the smell far and wide. Hopefully, I'm clean enough of food odors on my hands and clothes that they don't exceed the "worth my while" to investigate level.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm done with Opsacks. Every single one I've had failed quickly just above the zip, to where if you zip it shut there is nothing to grab onto to open it back up.

I was at a hostel in TN back in May, and got excited when I saw a stack of almost 10 of them sitting in the kitchen. Cool I thought, I will use one for the rest of my trip. Upon further examination, they were all broken at the zip.

They've got to know about the issue, wish they would fix it.
    It is what it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I'm done with Opsacks. Every single one I've had failed quickly just above the zip, to where if you zip it shut there is nothing to grab onto to open it back up.

I was at a hostel in TN back in May, and got excited when I saw a stack of almost 10 of them sitting in the kitchen. Cool I thought, I will use one for the rest of my trip. Upon further examination, they were all broken at the zip.

They've got to know about the issue, wish they would fix it.
    Apparently they will replace defective bags, but only within 45 days of purchase (returned with receipt) and if unused or only lightly used https://loksak.com/replacement-bags-testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Are the
    Aloksak Bags
    as good as the advertisements for preventing food odors from getting out?
    Short answer is no, they are not. I bought some that leaked badly on the first usage. Backpackinglight did a study of odor proof bags. Although the manufacturers thought their bags were odor proof, the test dogs did not.

++ New Posts ++