WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO or SOBO LASH - Which way do I go?

I have the opportunity to take a good hike this year, late summer into fall. I need to be in Roanoke for a week in August and am thinking about leaving from there ( Pearisburg) immediately after my commitment is over. I should be on trail 8/24 (my 60th birthday). I typically hike 6 days per week with one zero on the seventh day. I tend to be slow but steady stopping to smell the roses and like to stay in the 12-13 mile per day range. I need to be off trail the first couple of days in November. I was considering south to Springer or north somewhere to around perhaps Kent. Which way would you suggest and why? I am particularly interested in any Info you might be able to share regarding water that time of the year in either direction knowing it's a ways off still and obviously can change year to year.
    Thanks..

SOBO. better scenery

SOBO- gravity works with versus against

Being so close to September, SOBO makes the most sense. NC should be nice that time of year. Water sources would probably be better in NC then in VA. North of Pearisburg are long, dry ridges where water is a pain to get, even in wet times. You might meet up with some other SOBO hikers too. Just hope no hurricanes head that way, but that's a risk up and down the trail in Sept/Oct.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

"SOBO- gravity works with versus against"
    What does gravity have to do with going south bound? Are you simply alluding to the fact that "south" is located on the lower part of most maps?

SOBO @ 13 mpd from Daleville puts you at Springer in 56 days. Which would be Oct 18th (w/out zeroes), adding in the 8 zeros is Oct 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    SOBO- gravity works with versus against
    It you want the easier climbs go NOBO. After the Priest you won't hit another 4000 footer till NH.

go SOBO
    leaving last week of August from Pearisburg, spend Labor Day weekend in Damascus....then as you head south into TN, NC, and GA in months of Sept and Oct, you'll catch peak fall color change all the way south to Springer. Take your time, enjoy the hike, make some new friends, don't get worrying about trying to keep up with SoBo Thrus who will be doing 20+ mpd.

++ New Posts ++