WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Salomon XA Pro 3D off trail hikes

Good Day.

I was hoping someone could give me an idea on how my Salomon XA Pro 3D trail runners would hold up.

I am going on a 3 day backpacking trip on the Drakensberg in south africa.

Apparently there is no trail... its just up a mountain lol.

Savannah grass, technical rocky terrain, lots of little thorns that get stuck to your clothes.

I am a little worried about the fabric parts of the shoe getting ripped or damaged. I just got the shoes a week ago..

Regards

Willie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re pretty rugged. I don’t think you should have a problem.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I used them from Waynesboro to Rangeley on last years Thru Hike. They worked for me and are my number one hiking shoe choice, currently. Definitely works with my feet and covers over 500 Miles.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

The M+ version was my all-time favorite shoe, except that the arch support would wear a quarter-sized hole in my foot if I put in lots of miles. Couldn't use them for multiday backpacking, but did for everything else. Short dayhikes, gym wear, yard work, even mountain biking with flat pedals. Wore them until the sole was practically gone. They showed plenty of wear on the surface, but there wasn't a stitch out of place when they got retired to the trash can. Aside from the fit issue, I thought they were wonderful.
    Been wanting to try them again, maybe a half size larger with thicker socks, to see if that might work for me...

Awsome thank you for the encouragement

Now i feel better taking them off the beaten path up any mountain. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a very similar Salomon model for everyday use, including some jogging and minor trail running.
    Downside is that some debris keeps falling in, and thats the main reason why I don't use them for multiday hikes.
    This problem could be solved by using gaiters.

I sure hope it's a good shoe as I just pulled the trigger on a pair about 30 minutes prior to seeing this thread.They are replacing the Altra Lone Peak 4's as apparently the "zero drop thing" is not compatible with my feet and the fact that the toe bumpers started separating from the shoe after about 15 miles is just totally unacceptable. Altra needs to pay attention and fix that.

I used them on my hike. I was able to get about 800 miles out of each pair, when through 3 pairs on my thru. You should have no problem.

Journal Entries

Off trail low cut shoes offer no protection for ankles in vegetated terrain , and all manner of debris gets inside

Match your footwear to task at hand. Above treeline alpine areas- no problem. Bushwhacking thru knee deep bushes-...not so much

good gaiters can even it up. But feet/ankles more succeptible to pokes and scratches
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-12-2019 at 10:02.

Images

I have a pair and they are comfortable but they I do not like them for hiking. They are a little too stiff for me.

The shoes are working amazingly well. Holding strong with everything i can throw at it.

I had some ancle issues in the Drakensburg last month with the heavy savannah grass and walking almost vertically along the contour lines of the mountain. By the end of the day i kept twisting my ancle.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++