WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Bake Oven Knob Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Bake Oven Knob Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

This shelter is in PA. It is very old, very small. There is a resident snake that likes to crawl around in the shelter but he/she must be a vegetarian because there are also a number of resident mice. There is a tenting spot just of to the right. Water is very far down the mountain in dry months. Early June of this year it was way down there. No privy. -- Not the nicest of places to plan on staying. If you have water there are much nicer sites along the trail. Of course, after a long day or bad weather... (Loved the rock climbs before it.) Also if heading north and it is close to sunset stay up on the rocks at the summit and watch the sunset before the half mile hike down to the shelter. HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Bake Oven Knob Shelter

definately one to avoid,
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Default Bake Oven Knob shelter

Slept at this shelter 24. August 2003 or thereabouts on a section hike of the PA rocks. Needs a privy! The presently active spring is about 12-15 min downhill, but good flow. Skeeters numerous. Noise from Bake Oven Knob Road sometimes bothersome. Resident mouse has reduced the margins of the shelter register to bedding material. This shelter is the opposite extreme from the Allentown shelter.

Walt

Images

i just want to say how valuable this forum is! am planning a trip through PA this weekend, will stay at new tripoli campsite instead of this shelter (after reading this thread, of course!)

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

You practically have to get on your knees to crawl in ...but on a rainy night in 2003 it sure came in handy !!

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

bag o tricks told me not drink from the spring on a hike i did nov 2003
    he said some butt hole took a dump in the spring and whiped their butt
    and left toilet paper in spring,bag o tricks is a trail maintainer/trail angel
    in that area,that is sick,and very in human neo

Images

It was built in 1937. Might be the oldest shelter on the AT.

Images

yep it is very small. we arrived as a rain storm was ending. two people in the shelter with a dog who was covering about half of the space in there (not saying all that much since it is so tiny)

there are some good campsites right next to the shelter and across the trail

spring is very far away downhill. long way to take a dump

We were there July 3rd, 2005. It is very small and rustic, just a platform with space underneath for rodents and snakes, and the wire grill is damaged, so I'll bet there is plenty of wildlife there at night. There was a lot of activity around it, so we just stopped in to see what it looked like. Someone left a plastic Gatorade bottle and there was a very trail weary dog hanging out with his human hiking companion. Two companion hikers stopped to eat, and we heard activity there all night after we made camp nearby. The water is waaaaay down the trail and it wasn't fit for filtering and treating, much less anything else. There hadn't been much rain in awhile, perhaps there is a better supply of water other times of the year.

We hiked in for an over-night and used a clearing to the West of the trail that is well-used, but private. There are several campsites around the area, it's near a busy Pennsylvania spot where young locals often come to drink beer and party at the Bake Oven knob lookout point. Getting to this shelter from the South is lots of fun if you love Rocksylvania mountain climbing. And we do!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TooUnfazed View Post
    We were there July 3rd, 2005. It is very small and rustic, just a platform with space underneath for rodents and snakes, and the wire grill is damaged, so I'll bet there is plenty of wildlife there at night. There was a lot of activity around it, so we just stopped in to see what it looked like. Someone left a plastic Gatorade bottle and there was a very trail weary dog hanging out with his human hiking companion. Two companion hikers stopped to eat, and we heard activity there all night after we made camp nearby. The water is waaaaay down the trail and it wasn't fit for filtering and treating, much less anything else. There hadn't been much rain in awhile, perhaps there is a better supply of water other times of the year.

We hiked in for an over-night and used a clearing to the West of the trail that is well-used, but private. There are several campsites around the area, it's near a busy Pennsylvania spot where young locals often come to drink beer and party at the Bake Oven knob lookout point. Getting to this shelter from the South is lots of fun if you love Rocksylvania mountain climbing. And we do!
    This is the smallest - and the oldest - shelter on BMECC's section of the Trail. It was built in 1937, and was adequately-sized until the backpacking boom in the '70's. It is located on Pa. Game Commission land, and because of the anticipated permitting problems with multiple state agencies - as well as a lack of manpower to build and run it - there are currently no plans to build a privy at this site. Sorry. Because of the lack of a privy and difficulty in getting water from any of the 3 springs down below the shelter, most of the problems associated with a shelter this close to a road do not exist. It's about as primitive as you can get these days, but it's a welcome sight in a downpour!

It was adequately sized until people started getting taller, I think. I'd recommend stopping by to see this shelter, and then moving on. Don't count on water here -- the top two sources are often dry and the third is a long way down off the ridge.

If you're northbound and you pass Allentown Shelter to get here you're going to be mad at yourself.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

www.hikersupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    You practically have to get on your knees to crawl in ...but on a rainy night in 2003 it sure came in handy !!

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    AMEN TO THAT!!

I spent the night there all by my lonesome in 03, well me and the snake, and it was lumpy, there were no mice...

It thunderstormed that night like I have never seen before in my life but I stayed dry and slept in the next day!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    It was adequately sized until people started getting taller, I think. I'd recommend stopping by to see this shelter, and then moving on. Don't count on water here -- the top two sources are often dry and the third is a long way down off the ridge.

If you're northbound and you pass Allentown Shelter to get here you're going to be mad at yourself.

I guess I should have been a little more clear on the "size" of the place - not head-room, but rather carrying capacity. I agree that anyone over 5'6" will have to duck down, but in bad weather, any solid structure is a blessing. Besides, Allentown is nice and new and very well planned and executed, but there's still a lot to be said for rustic, and that's what Bake Oven Knob is. It is definitely a link to the time in which it was built.

It's unfortunate that, in Pa., water on the ridgetop has always been a problem. There is no solution except to go DOWN. In 20+ years, I've never seen that third spring fail, but I have seen it run really slow in dry years. I think that we are going to see the ridgetop water supply become more of a problem due to development. As more country homes and industries sink wells for water, the water table drops more, and the higher springs are affected first. When I joined BMECC, some of the old-timers pointed out several springs that "never" went dry. (Sand Spring, a few miles south of Eagle's Nest shelter was one of these.) But many of these now dry up for weeks at a time, and I believe that development in the valleys is the main cause. (The springs that drain off the north face of the ridge are less affected because the development is less there.)

Recently cleaned (last time I was there it was a trash dump ****hole). Some chubknockers tried to start a campfire on the picnic table, even though there's a fire ring. Tent area is well groomed, more camp sites along the trail should take some pressure off this shelter.

Spring was gushing.

Interesting excerpt from the register: "Adam's yeast infection smells like his socks and is getting worse."

Other entries in the register note 24 people sleeping in the shelter one night. And I've got a bridge for sale, just north of the shelter over the Lehigh.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Other entries in the register note 24 people sleeping in the shelter one night. And I've got a bridge for sale, just north of the shelter over the Lehigh.
    If there were 24 people sleeping IN that shelter, they must have been REALLY close friends!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

:banana 24 people

i was there on march 16th, 2008 again. the springs were all gushing because of a few hours of heavy rain that morning. i read in the trail journal about the 24 people sleeping in the shelter. it was posted by some 8 year-olds i think. a lady responded later in the book about telling them that it was built for 6, but in bad weather it could fit more. she said she made up a number to tell them when they asked her how many could possibly fit. it was a nice weekend, chilly untill the sun came out, but in the evening and early mornings it snowed. the shelter wasn't bad, but i cleaned it. if you need any fire wood, by the second spring are many trees and dead branches that fell down. we had a fire going for hours with this wood.

Images

As a local, i hike and camp past this shelter multiple times a year ... i've shown up there with the area trimmed and clean ... prolly shortly after maintence went thro ... I've also been thro with the shelter in complete disaster ... the problem is, kids get up the mountain and party at the shelter .... there's PLENTY of camping areas around the shelter and along the trail from 309 south of bake oven to ashfield road north of bake oven ... Cops have been up there plenty of times for car break in's on over nighter's ... The 3 springs at this shelter are iffy, the top spring runs well during spring and rainfalls ... the second one down is alittle more reliable ... and like the guy above me said ... i've never seen the third run in the least ... I'd consider the area just fine for passing thro if in a tent, but i wouldn't "even being local" sleep in the shelter.

Bake Oven could have some of the best small shelters from rock overhangs. Always be on the lookout for snakes and spiders.

You'll get a lot of these guys around and they can web fast.
    http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon
    Enjoy it while it's wild. Soon enough we'll be hiking indoors.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++