WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kristian Morgan FKT ATtempt - NOBO Supported

hadn't seen anything posted here yet about this attempt. kristian is a british ultra runner who paced karel sabbe occasionally last year and apparently has a goal of <40 days for his attempt.

website - https://www.kristianultra.com/appalachian-trail
    strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/8815157

Woot! This is better than cable!

Images

Sigh ... as if I don't have enough distractions in my life :-)

Good luck, Kristian.

Heck yes. Hopefully I'm not in a privy when this guy passes me

Default Live Tracking for Kristian's attempt

Quote Originally Posted by greatexpectations View Post
    hadn't seen anything posted here yet about this attempt. kristian is a british ultra runner who paced karel sabbe occasionally last year and apparently has a goal of <40 days for his attempt.

website - https://www.kristianultra.com/appalachian-trail
    strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/8815157
    You can follow Kristian live here: http://kristianmorganat.legendstracking.com

Kristian is using a Garmin inReach, and the data is visualised on the same platform as the one that Karel was using last year (although the tracker is different). On the visualisation, there is a virtual race setup that takes Karel's data points from last year into account.

So hot and humid today, hoping Kristian keeps on truckin’ (Safely). anyone know his trail name?

I just messaged with his crew. He's at Ice Water Shelter right now, and will leave at 4AM. Their crew is looking for some pacers if anyone nearby wants to jump in for some miles (I can pass along contact information if you want to PM me about it). I'm looking to pace from and through SNP to Harper's Ferry.

What is he averaging? Cool opportunity

Awesome. It has been a very quiet year for AT record attempts. Usually there are half a dozen or so who make noise leading up to the AT record "season." This year, crickets. I thought that perhaps since Karel put down such a really, really solid time with seemingly perfect logistics that it had turned off would-be suitors. Good to see someone going for it who has the background to have a chance. I'll be following along.

Not surprisingly his tracker seems off

Quote Originally Posted by James GAME2009 View Post
    Awesome. It has been a very quiet year for AT record attempts. Usually there are half a dozen or so who make noise leading up to the AT record "season." This year, crickets .

If the AT is too quite for your liking this year, keep an eye on the PCT in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Not surprisingly his tracker seems off
    Yeah, it looks like at the end or beginning of every day it bounces wildly, which makes it hard to tell where he begins and ends a day. Maybe they are staking out and he is being driven to a different sleeping spot, then driven back. Or it's just real glitchy.

In any case, as of about 4.5 days in, he's ~65km behind Sabbe's pace, or about 7 miles/day off. Probably running about low 40s/day right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunnerGuy View Post
    In any case, as of about 4.5 days in, he's ~65km behind Sabbe's pace, or about 7 miles/day off. Probably running about low 40s/day right now.
    Kristian seemed to have been following pretty closely behind Karel for the first 4 days. Checking the tracker again and I think you're right: a major speed bump in the eastern GSMNP on day 5, hopefully no injury. I tried downloading the GPX file to better visualize his progress over multiple days against Joe's and Karel's data via animated mapping, but the link is empty on his legendstracking page. Good luck to Kristian, sub 40 is a daunting challenge... more so now than at the start!

He's uninjured and just had a gear issues which lead to additional downtime. They've since addressed it so that shouldn't happen again.

They're still looking for fairly fast pacers or even a crew member if anyone wants to log some mileage or assist with support duties. They've also recalc'd the schedule and he'll make back the time in a smart manner.

Ballsy and robust. Keep it movin

From the Instagram post:

“Update about Appalachian trail speed attempt. My crew have had problems. Today One member will be leaving and returning to their home. The world record is now out of my reach. I’m obviously disappointed but now seeing this as just an adventure.”

That flamed out way too quickly. Any word on other potential suitors this year?

Shows what a logistical challenge it is, as well as physical. Hope he has a good adventure the rest of the way.

I saw this coming with post #14 last night. Figured it was all but over with all the crew problems, pacer problems, gear problems, heat problems inferred from the post. Making up lost time is really hard when that lost time starts adding up. The current record is outstanding. It will be hard to beat, but no doubt people will keep trying. A lot of things need to go perfect and a lot of those things you have little or no control over.

How far did he get?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++