WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Safest / best overnight parking area near Tyringham, MA?

I see three choices in the list of parking areas:

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=125

I also see references to smashed windows.

Any recommendations between these?

Thanks,
    Tom

FYI, this the rohland site is great site with a long memory. Note the dates of the reports (2009 and 2011)

Try Sunset Farm , Sanatarella or the Fire Dept. All on Main Road

Does that mean you would not trust any of those three "official" parking areas that are right on trail?

I have parked at the AT Kiosk on Main Road for day hikes but never overnight. Have not had a problem during the day.
    Main Road doesn't get too much traffic at night. I hate leaving my car at any trailhead, but its what we have to do to hike

i am local and have not had issues (or personally heard of issues) with any of these sites, though i have only used the main rd lot for overnights.

there are two other crossings northbound from main rd too. webster is a 2-3 car lot on a really quiet road. goose pond rd can hold another couple cars but it is a busier road.

with the caveat that you might want to check with the trustees to be sure, another option could be to park in the lot for the tyringham cobble. it is a quick blue blaze to the AT with a lot that is large and just off the busier main rd.

Hi,

I've parked at the first location, listed as Tyringham-Main Road, for day-hiking (no overnights). I've never had any issues.
    I use that website all the time to find parking lots/trail access points. And, I've struggled with what to do when I see reports of broken windows or vandalism.

It's hard to know what to do. I make some ridiculously subjective determinations to calm myself and not worry about my vehicle while I'm hiking (especially on multi-day trips).

Thanks everyone for the information!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++