Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default GPX for the Sheltowee Trace Trail ???

    The Sheltowee Trace Trail is not listed on Google Maps. I was able to see the trail online, but when I tried to trace it by hand into Google Maps, there was no trail visible. Does anyone have a GPX track line to share? Thanks

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2012
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,289
    Images
    13

    Default

    The ST has been very well marked in all of my travels on it. I think you should be able to find what your looking for here ST GPX Files

    IMG_5811 (1).JPG

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The ST has been very well marked in all of my travels on it. I think you should be able to find what your looking for here ST GPX Files
    The above link ends up on a OutrageGIS mapping web page with 2014 data. Last month I emailed them asking if an updated version was in the works. There was no response.

    Would like to upload waypoints to an InReach Mini. Once you get past OutrageGIS and a few weekend data uploads, data becomes scarce.

    There appears to have been a few reroutes over the past 5 years. It would be nice to have current info, but I have not been able to find it.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-29-2012
    Location
    Cookeville, TN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,289
    Images
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    The above link ends up on a OutrageGIS mapping web page with 2014 data. Last month I emailed them asking if an updated version was in the works. There was no response.

    Would like to upload waypoints to an InReach Mini. Once you get past OutrageGIS and a few weekend data uploads, data becomes scarce.

    There appears to have been a few reroutes over the past 5 years. It would be nice to have current info, but I have not been able to find it.
    May want to contact 10k on here. he has thru hiked it twice.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    May want to contact 10k on here. he has thru hiked it twice.
    Thanks Gambit. Appreciate the help.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,739

    Default

    I've also thru hiked it 2x. Easy to follow the ST. GPX tracks aren't needed. These are very good showing more than GPX tracks will. https://www.outragegis.com/trails/pr...rth-trail-map/ Add in a Big South Fork map if wanting to veer off the ST. I've taken both southern terminus endings and enjoyed both. LOTS of arches and water and NO CROWDS overall thruing the easy to follow ST.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,739

    Default

    Watch for poison ivy. I got it real bad one ST thru. Watch for copperheads especially in BSF and around escarpments. Do tick checks although IMO the ST is NOT a heavy tick pressure thru hike. I did one SOBO ST thru Sept. The other Oct. Late Oct was far better for the humidity had broken.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've also thru hiked it 2x. Easy to follow the ST. GPX tracks aren't needed.
    Ha! I disagree. There are numerous unmarked trail intersections. We would have never made it without GPS. This trail is simply not marked in many areas. My thru of the ST was in 2018.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-14-2017
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Age
    54
    Posts
    88

    Default

    If you go to the CalTopo web site, and turn on other people's maps, there are a couple of maps with the line and Mike markers. You can export them and import into your own map.

    Also, Google TN Landforms, that guy has lots of waypoints for some off trail things like waterfalls and arches in the BSF area.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-28-2007
    Location
    Georgia and Hawaii
    Posts
    17,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Ha! I disagree. There are numerous unmarked trail intersections. We would have never made it without GPS. This trail is simply not marked in many areas. My thru of the ST was in 2018.
    Ha! You wouldn't know how to get to Roswell GA if not having GPS and a FAK.

++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •